Cerwin Vega LW-12 Subwoofers

4.74/5 (66 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

Powered Subwoofer - 12" Driver - 150 Watt Amplifier

Submitted by sunflower seed a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
AHHHHH The LW-12 yes, I HAVE HAD THIS SUB FOR ABOUT 8 YEARS NOW AND I CAN NOW SAY IT IS A REALLY GREAT SUB, I HAVE HAD THIS SUB SET UP WITH HIGH END AUDIO, AND LOWER END, MANY HOURS OF TUNING, AND WHEN I WAS DONE THE RESULT WAS A++++ I EVEN BUILT A PROFESSIONAL SUB TO ROOM ACOUSTICALLY BUILT TRI WALL STRUCTURE SURROUND, FOR THE BEST RESULTS I HAD EVER HAD THIS SUB IN, WHICH GAVE IT THE PUNCH, THE BLEND WITH MUSIC, AND THE LOWS THAT MADE IT SOUND LIKE IT HIT MUCH LOWER THAN 30HZ, WITH READINGS AROUND 25HZ WITH PEAK POWER OUTPUT, PRETTY GOOD YEAH I WOULD SAY SO FOR THE PRICE OF THIS GREAT SUB, MY BEST RESULTS WERE AFTER I REPLACED THE WOOFER, WHICH BLEW ON ME AFTER 2 YEARS, I HAD A GROUND LOOP HUM, IN THE AMP, DISSASSEMBLED AMP FROM SUPPORT PLATE, RETIGHTENED SCREWS, AND INSTALLED NEW GROUNG WIRES, FOR A QUITE IDLE WHEN NOT IN USE, MOST SUBS DO GREAT IN MOVIES, BUT MY FOCUS WAS TO MAKE THIS SUB REALLY SHINE IN MUSINC, BEING THAT I NEW BEFORE I TOOK IT OUT OF THE BOX SHE WAS GOING TO BE A BOOMER IN THE HIGHER FREQ, 57HZ RIGHT ON UP, BUT WITH LOTS OF TIME THE SUB IS NOW RIGHT ON PAR IN MUSIC, PLACEMENT IS KEY WITH ANY SUB, DON'T HAVE A WELL SET UP ROOM, BUILD A SYSTEM MATHED TRI WALL STRUCTURE SURROUND, NO MATTER WHERE IN THE ROOM I PUT THE SUB, USING THE STRUCTURE WILL ALWAYS GIVE ME THE RESULTS I AM LOOKING FOR, WITHOUT EVER ADJUSTING MY SEATING POSITION.HAVE FUN WITH YOUR SYSTEM, GET INTO AUDIO THE WAY ITS MENTTO BE, READ BOOKS, BUT ALSO EXPIEREMENT FOR YOURSELF, MY NEXT PROJECT I AM BUILDING MY SYSTEM FROM SCRATCH AMP, SPEAKERS THE WHOLE 20 YARDS, LINING THE CABINET WITH HIGH DENSITY SUB FOAM ALSO WORKS GREAT, DON'T GO OVER 3/4 INCH, DO NOT LINE THE BOTTOM, AWESOME RESULT, HAVE FUN

Purchased At:   REX

Submitted by jwc1138 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub new since I couldn't find a better deal online. I also recently bought 4 cerwin vega ht-s5, a pair of cerwin vega v6-f's and a ht-c5 center which I also reviewed and a pioneer vsx-811s which I'm going to review this morning after this. This sub is great for the price! Of course it doesn't compare to a 1000 dollar sub but... what do you expect? I listened to many subs and did a lot of research online I this is the best power/price ratio I could find. The lw12 rocks my house! I had to turn the crossover way down to about 55hz to stop it from over powering the rest of my system. Again, this sub BUMPS. As others have mentioned it does sound a little boomy, but I kind of like that sound and you can make it sound tighter by not pushing it as hard as I do. I bought the matrix: reloaded last night and it sounded so good, as good as I rememeber from the theather. The only beef I have is that the sub doesn't go much below 30hz and I think the matrix reloaded has some LFE's that low and it did sound good but I think it only happened twice in the movie. As far as music, I'm not an audiophile, but it sounds damn good to me. I like rap and it does make the lows in the tracks sound great. Overall a great sub at a great price!!

Purchased At:   Rex

Submitted by Arne Johansen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I`ve allways wanted an subwoofer since i`ve heard one for the first time, i`ve allready have a pair of pretty big vs 12(120 in USA) but they could not compare at realy low bass with this sub. It really shakes the walls..i could not get any dissortion even at max becouse the woofer amp is the weekest link. It`s construction makes it allmost everlasting..i don`t know what was wrong whit the subs i read that guy from USA wreaked. Must have been mailfunktion or an older USA design, cv europe is known to put better elektronic equipment in theire subs over here in europe. but that`s proberbly why they cost a lot more. I`ve got mine on rest sale for about 180$, but i did cost over 400$ in norway. I`ve heard better subs on music, but they cost 3 times as much..and this sub plays better than the previusly subs i`ve heard from cv

Purchased At:   Hifi klubben Tromsø

Submitted by Rick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recommend this sub for anyone on a budget not wanting to spend over $400. The sub is a little boomy when compared to brands over $600. For only $200 more, I would go for the SVS or HSU subwoofers. If you are not familiar with these brands, look up the reviews on this sight. Also, go to hometheaterforum.com and look at the raving reviews there. They are outstanding.
This sub is highly dependant upon finding a sweet spot in the room (as most are). Sometimes it can have a dramatic improvement in spl's just by corner loading.
All in all, this is a good sub and extremely durable. For music the bass is a little loose but for HT, its impossible to beat for the price.
I am running it with Klipsch RF-3's across the front and Polk surrounds in the rear. I keep the volumn at about 3/4 with my crossover set at 90.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2003

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased a cerwin vega lw-12 subwoofer. I have been using a jbl psw-1000 and wharfedale sd-12 subs. The jbl has been much better than expected. Absolutely no problems. The wharfedale has been the same - no problems. But the CV has been EXCELLENT to say the least !!! Very tight, goes deep with no distortion. I am extremely pleased with this speaker. Also couldn't beat the price. Well under $200.00 !