Cerwin Vega HT-12D
Description: 12" Passive Subwoofer (1993-1997)

Submitted by Kyle Mills a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
In my experiences with this product, I totally differ from the other reviews. I find that this sub does not deliver even close to what I was expecting. I power it with a strong Yamaha receiver and find nothing tremendous at all. In fact, I disliked it so much that I went and bought a powered Paradigm PS-1000 and fell in love immediately. I do not recommend it if you are looking for some serious bass power. If you are I suggest looking for powered subs before wasting your money on unpowered ones.

Submitted by TheHman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have had this sub for about 8 years now. It still looks brand new. I am considering an amplified sub but cannot find anything that vibrates the walls like this CV. I am pushing w/ a Sony STD915. The sub hits very low notes and does not bottom out. I listen to rock, jazz and everything in between. I am basically ending my search and will just keep what I got. I was searching this board to see any responses on the amplified CV subs. I have heard the Velodyne at Circuit City and the Veledoyne is very clean. However, for the 400-600 buck they or the net want, my 250.00 CV passive I got 8 yrs ago will do just fine. If you can get your hands on one, DO IT.

Submitted by Darryn MacDonald a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
All I can say is WOW, this is a great sub and at the price I got it at ($200 Canadian) it was an incredible deal! This subwoofer is actually very easy to drive to high volumes due to it's high 94dB sensitivity and 8 ohm nominal impedance. This is one of my favourite sounding subs, even better than the newer CV subs (and it is bigger too!). It is both very musical and hits very hard for home theater. I have not tried trully high end subs such as the paradigm servo15 or bob carver true subwoofer, but they are way out of this price range. I give this speaker a 5 for value and a 4.5 for sound (only because I have not listened to many over $1000 subs).