Boston Acoustics PV600
Description: The PV600 includes a 10 inch (250mm) woofer, 150-watt, and 3 inputs.

Submitted by trojan2900 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2005

Bottom Line:
I thought I'd try out a downward firing sub and test the PV-600 against an Infinity SW-10 I had. The one problem I saw right away was that the rca inputs on the Boston don't have a separate left and right channel, while the Infinity does. I run Kimber Silverstreak directly from the second preamp output on my Krell intergrated amp to the subwoofer, so left and right channel inputs are perfect. The Boston has in input for using the crossover and one for bypassing the crossover. I tried to use a y patch cable (on silverstreak?) but it just mono'd out my amp. Not good, so used both inputs on the Boston at the same time and it worked. The bass energy on this unit is good, and I'd recommend it if you can find one on ebay for the price I got it at (hint....look for mine shortly), but overall, the Infinity has the Boston beat. It's tighter, fuller, and has more power (rated at 250w). The cabinet also weighs more.

Submitted by drlazybones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
This subwoofer sounds great for music or movies. It integrates perfectly with my VR3 fronts, crossed at 40Hz and set to a low volume. For music playback, the sub disappears, and anchors the bottom end, subtly extending the base into the nether-regions... For movies? Well, i can turn it up to about "2" on the dial and make the windows in my house rattle. The bass is deep enough to feel in your chest, and clean enough to distinguish TONES, which is saying something! I would say this is the least you can spend on a sub and still have a musical bottom-end, where a pipe organ or a cello have a timbral quality instead of sounding like a bloomy boomy mess. Boston is a great mid-fi brand, with an excellent cost:value ratio. This sub is another example of that formula.

Submitted by Nick a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a product from which I got more than I thought I would. I just wanted something better than the $200 8in. sub I had, but I got a sub that I think I will keep for many years. If you want huge bass, get the 12in PV800, but if you care more about music than movies, this is the one for you. It's definitely a musical subwoofer and does well for my listening which is mostly rock. It has no problem filling a room, and it goes pretty low. Great for music, still plenty for movies (for me at least).

Submitted by van a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I purchased this sub at tweeter for a great price of $299. I was excited when I brought it home, but 3 days after I connected it to my Denon 3200, I noticed a terrible crackling sound with LFE in movies. I took it back to Tweeters, only to find out that it had a bad amp. So I exchanged it for another pv600. One week after having the 2nd sub, the speaker blew. I don't listen to my music loud, and I listen to mostly jazz and R&B. At that point, I decided I was jinxed. Went back to Tweeters a 3rd time (I'm sure the salesmen were thinking at this point I was some scamming guy who listens to his music full blast) when I noticed a PV800 for $444. Exchanged it, and am very happy. I'm sure if I had a working pv600, I would be content. I'm just happy to have a working sub (fingers crossed :)

Purchased At:   tweeter

Submitted by drlazybones a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
This was the best money I've spent to round out my system. Compared to other subs in this price range, I feel I got the best there is. The thing rocks!