B&W ASW 500 Subwoofers

4.36/5 (28 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

10" Subwoofer - 70W Active Subwoofer

Submitted by ragingfighter a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2016

Bottom Line:
I pick this up secondhand on eBay and I have been nothing less than extraordinarily pleased by the performance clarity and impact on low and performance of the frequency spectrum. It really is a very clear non-distortive generalize performance of all music genres unless if the music dictates that it needs that type of distortion effect. I have this paired with Bowers and Wilkins 685 first-generation in a set up configured as 2.1 stereo with the Yamaha 6.1 5940 receiver. I don't do a lot of HDMI hook ups through a receiver so this particular configuration is fine I run all my stuff separately from the receiver well as far as HDMI wiring which it does not have is concerned and so on. I also have her 301 disc changer last me a very long time well over 10 years I would say that the Bowers and Wilkins 685 generation one is a five star rating to me regardless of some four star ratings by critics and I would also give the generation to 685's a five star rating out of five both phenomenal speakers. This sub crosses over at 90 hz The speakers have the same crossover which made it a true breeze and they fit together and play togethe The speakers have the same crossover which made it a true breeze to set up. The sound is very much A multi layer experience perform seamlessly together and has maybe rediscover my music collection and movies much more enjoyable than what I had in the past and out of five stars with this combination the subwoofer offers really is something special. I full heartedly recommend picking it up. I also highly recommend the Bowers and Wilkins 685 generation one or two or even the 683 generation one or two

Submitted by Fargo73 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this subwoofer (Second hand: 102 euros + shipping on Ebay) to replace my AIWA TSW-45, which was not very musical (only very boomy).
My main use is in an Home Theatre chain (Yamaha DSP A-5 Amplifier, Mission 731LE Front, Kef Coda C centre and Yamaha NS E80 sorround) and I was surprised by the huge power of this subwoofer.

My old AIWA was about 50 watts, and could do a big noise (not actually music...). The ASW 500 really rocks! It makes my whole hosue tremble.
Maybe because of the position (in between the wall and sofa) I can really feel it in the stomach, but also glasses in the kitchen were trmbling!

But apart from the power itself, it is very musical, and does not make music bust (like the AIWA), but it really makes sound.

I'm using it with less than one third of the full volume, but it can really fill my room (which is 4x6 meters in the HT part, but extends for other 6x4 meters on one side) and I'm very surprised that someone found it not powerfull enough.

I haven't really tested it with music, but I would not expect any bad, after this first experience. It's a B&W with a Rotel mosfet amplifier, it is hard to beat!

Purchased At:   Second hand on Ebay

Submitted by Johnny Farm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
I was very impressed with this sub. Its very musical. Great for music and HT.
Solid and deep bass. Very good looks and beatiful finish.

Purchased At:   Particular

Submitted by dharub a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
WoW!!IS all I can say.
My favourite subwoofer paired with B&W 601 s3 Music has never sounded better.The 70 watts are underestimated..It can get pretty loud.Great tight bass blends beautifully with surrounds Not over bearing but you can still feel it.Way better with music than dvd But cant complain either way.

Purchased At:   stereo xchange

Submitted by Erin Tugwell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
I went out looking for a sub with intentions to buy something cheap and hopefully get something of good quality.
After looking at a number of smaller sized drivers (sony, yamaha) came across the b&w.
Now this was a name that stood out specially since i owned b&w Lm1 as my rears and loved them.
After watching u571 with and without i dont no how i went without it.
It is also great in stereo form with my Bose 301's adds the perfect amount of low bass they cant produce.

Thanx b&w for allowing people with low amounts of money have large amounts of quality that all your friends will be jealous of.

Purchased At:   Grenfill hi-fi