AudioSource SW FIFTEEN Subwoofers

4.38/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $249.94

200-Watt Amplifier, Variable Crossover, Auto-On Sensing Circuitry.

Submitted by flynavy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2004

Bottom Line:
this thing is a beast!! It rattles the windows. I havent tried stuffing it with the radio shack fluff mentioned in previous reviews, but I will. I definately turn the crossover down low, as I have some pretty solid Infinity and Yamaha Fronts with Bose rears. I'm working the 6.1 on denon I just got and it puts enough energy thru this thing like you read about. keep the pictures hung well because this thing will rock the house. I'm purchasing a velodyne sub to put in a second house, so stand by for the comaprison

Purchased At:   costco

Submitted by athnar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
Until I bought a single bag of acoustic insulation from Radio Shack and stuffed it in this beast I would agree that this was a pretty anemic, albeit cheap sub.
I had read some odd reviews stating that this one single omission from Audiosource was all that was lacking. Yup.....
Whoa! Scary sound! Clarity; solid bottom; actually, "Tear the dust cap right out of the middle scary sound."
If you own one of these boxes give your system a new lease on life with this simple and amazingly cheap fix.
It works! Gawd, does it work!
Take your favorite low end cut. I use Chris Whitley's Rocket House CD for most testing right now, because of the outstanding sound engineering that went into a lot of the cuts. Try cuts #6 or #7 and stand back. Or try Violet the last cut from Seal's first CD. Both cuts, before and after the acoustic insulation fix will provide an adequate comparison even if you do not like either recording artist.

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by joe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
I am amazed that this product gets these stellar reviews. This is an entry level sub that I purchased at Costso for $99. For $99 it is ok. It sounds nothing like a decent subwoofer should. It sounds like a speaker with a blanket over it. It does not give you a true reproduction of the low frequencies. Yah it will vibrate the house during a film but that is it. If this is all you can afford then great. This is what I had for three years. After I couldn't take it anymore I bought a much better one and the difference is amazing, night and day.

Submitted by marcoangels a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this subwoofer at the advice of a 'home-theater addict' who has components worth countless dollars more than me. The price was fantastic, and yes, it is 'big' and after some initial problems, I'm very happy with it. It goes a lot lower than the Sony 50 watt sub I had, but I'm amazed that I'm able to 'clip it' on many dvd movies...I figured that a sub of this size and power would be 'clip-proof', but I was wrong! I haven't made any modifications to it yet and I don't find it particularly 'boomy', but then, I've not had the chance to compare it against pricier audiophile equipment! For $154 dollars with free shipping, I think it's one heck of a deal!

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Submitted by Scott Keck a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Whoomp there it is, indeed. I have a small DJ setup w/Yamaha SV112 cabinets (12" woofer, horn driver), & 800w amp. I wanted to add thump to the SV112's. They are great cabinets, but lack "bottom" in a large room. I didn't want to buy a crossover, or new amp, as my gig-rig is completely full, no room to schlep a bigger box & has to fit in my car.
After reading reviews here and on other sites, I decided to go with the SW 15. Added banana plug terminals, an after-market, round, black metal grill, and replaced the AC power cord with an 8AWG cord with quick-disconnect; also beefed up the internal wiring that passes the power amp's juice on to the PA speakers. I will probably be adding recessed metal handles on either side of the box to make it fully portable.

I usually hide the sub under the table where I set up my DJ rig. People can't understand how 2 little SV112's on speaker stands are generating so much bass! Lots of funk and 70's and disco get played at the parties I do, and this thing really pumps it out.

So far, I haven't noticed a need for damping material, but since I use this thing in high-volume music situations exclusively, that may make a difference.

If I had the room, I would have bought 2 and daisy-chained them. If you have a club or small DJ business and you want some bargain, big-sounding bass, buy this sub! For under $1000, in a club, you could strategically locate 4 of these bad boys around the dance floor and just feed'em a line-level from your mixer.

The AudioSource guys are great. I emailed asking if the SW15 could hanlde semi-commercial duty like this. Their support dept. emailed me back with a phone number, & I chatted with them for several minutes, they said no worries.

Purchased At:   Let''s Go Digital