AudioSource SW-300 Subwoofers

3.25/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $139.00

Bandpass design with 6.5" woofer

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I haven't had this sub for long, and 'am still breaking it in. I've taken volume up here and there, but never sustain it for long in order to run it in properly. I've yet to watch Jurassic Park or Saving Private Ryan. Music seems decent, for what I've already heard it's better than all I've had (which hasn't been the best quality being RCA and AS). I will come back with another review within 2 weeks, and will tell if the YST- 160 was the bargain, or if Sony's SAWM40 took over.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub a few months ago to add more power to my home theater system. I like the way it makes the room shake during DVD movies (especially action movies like the matrix) it has enough power to bring the LFE channel to life. However I've found that the sub is more or less worthless when it comes to music, as soon as you turn up the volume high it starts to rattle and shake, distorting the low bass notes. To counter act this when listening to music I tend to run the sub channel low and add my audiophile sub which handles music much better than the audiosource. If listening at low levels however the audiosource is more than adequate. Overall I would recomend this sub only for movies since using DD and DTS has an independent channel devoted to the subwoofer designed to "shake the room" and doesn't really use it to fill in the lower bass of the music and dialouge. For home cinema it is an excellent value for those looking to beef up their sound but not wanting to spend alot of money on an infinity, energy or other more expensive models.