AudioSource SW-15
Description: 15" Powered Subwoofer

Submitted by z32type a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2010

Bottom Line:
I have owned many subs in the past. I am 25 years old. I started getting into home theater by the age of 16. Of course I have many other hobbies,but anyways. My first HT system was a Yamaha HTIB back in 2003. I loved it alot until I started to see other higher end stuff and hearing them. i started to build my own systems from there on. As from the subwoofer parts here are the order. Yamaha HTIB,Onkyo HTIB, JBL Northridge E250, Polk Audio PSW12,Definitive Technology Prosub 200tl, Energy S8.2, Energy S10.3 and last but not least. I came across this subwoofer. The Audiosource SW15. Taking it home,it sounded too boomy then I started to modify it with the polyfill,change the wire from the amp to the driver, spiked the sub and the results were alot better. Faster,plays tighter and bass seems to be a bit more controlled,but still gotta tweak it to a certain extent since it will still be boomy at times. Compare to my other subwoofer this is the most powerful sub I have ever owned. The SPL on the upper range bass is crazy and will pound your chest and the lows are pretty good,but not as smooth as the other subs I own like the Energy S10.3 played alot smoother,faster transient response on the low end. I will recommend this subwoofer to anyone whos into DIY stuff and take the time to mod it. It will shake your living room especially in movies. ITS REALLY BIG AS WELL!!

Submitted by funko a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
i have nothing new to sayabout this sub, i agree with all the positive reviews
this sub is GREAT for home theater with the mods (i did all of them with parts experss) i even bought spray dampener to spray the areas not covered by the dampening sheets. however this sub is not detailed to catch the subtlies in music

Purchased At:   cmart

Submitted by zombielust a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an excellent sub for the price. Do not pass it up. As all other reviews have mentioned, the mods are necessary for this product to become a well rounded work hourse sub.

I have found that this sub is best for Home Theater use. I use a smaller 8" sub for listening to music.

Anyway...To increase bass punchiness and help the speaker to react faster and more responsive to incoming signals, I would suggest adding these modifications. Part numbers are listed. Most of my materials were found at www.partsexpress.com.

1)8 - vinyl sound damping sheets (part#268-030) place them on the top and bottom and the sides as well as the back near the amplifier.

2)Use poly-fill (#260-317) to cover the top, bottom, sides and corners. I used 2 1lb bags. Stapling is the best option for fixing the material to the inside.

3)Spike the sub with part (#240-715). This will also help from the vibrations transferring from the enclosure to the floor and cause undesired rattling around the house. It will also keep the box from moving around.

4)Use 10-gauge speaker wire to connect the amplifier to the speaker driver on the inside. This will prevent the wire bridge between the amp and speaker from bottlenecking and causing the amp to over heat.

5)Keep 2-Amp Slow-Blow fuses on hand. Package of 4 at Radio Shack for $2.25 - product number 270-1064. When inserting a new fuse, turn-off and unplug the amp. Also, the fuse needs go into the fuse cap and then inserted in the amp.

These few and inexpensive mods will greatly improve the performance of the sub. It only takes minutes a few dollars. Adding these mods also gives you a better appreciation for the subwoofer. One other reviewer mentioned that adding the mods to the sub will help you bond with it. This is very true. So if you enjoy these types of projects, go for it.

Purchased At:   amazon.com

Submitted by Wayne Loder a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've got the Audiosource hooked up with a home theater system that includes JBL Northridge speakers and a Marantz 4200 receiver. I'm one of the lucky persons who has an ADC subsonic synthesizer from back in the 1970s. It basically takes any low note one octave lower than it is (completely adjustable as to how much effect you produce). I figured out a way to hook it up to the subwoofer, even though it's really intended for two speakers. I liked the sound of the Audiosource without all the modifications everyone has mentioned. However, don't expect to crank it with hard, hard bass at loud levels without it heating up and possibly blowing a fuse. With the ADC hooked up,and cranking out "The Theme from Shaft," that's what happened. When I tried to replace it with a new fuse, something happened and I ended up having to send in the amp, which was easy to remove. Audiosource not only replaced the amp, but also the speaker, just on the off chance there was a short in it. While the amp was gone and the speaker off (which I did not have to send back), I stapled polyfoam purchased for $6 from Meijers throughout he speaker and added some extra general fill, just to satisfy my curiosity about how much better it is with the polyfoam in place. I have to admit the sound is really sweet now--much better than it was. My home theater system is downstairs and with the ADC on, The other day I watched an old Star Wars movie on tape with my 10 year-old son (you've got to start them off right). I couldn't believe the effects in the low bass area. I had to be hitting 25 hertz notes(or lower) with no problem at all. The effects were unreal. Yeah, I could probably have bought a $500 or $600 subwoofer and knocked the plaster off my walls a little better, but I'd be deaf by then, so what's the point. As it is, my wife suggested that on the next Star Wars movie, I might want to crank down the sound. When your wife complains and she's on a different floor of the house, that's certainly the mark of a good subwoofer.

Purchased At:   U-Bid

Submitted by Hobie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
Needed to replace my burned up KLH Sub. Found Amazon had this SW15 AudioSource sub for $149.00 with no shipping. With the good reviews I read and the price why not? Well it is as all the reviews said. It will rattle your teeth and all the wifes stuff on the walls! Its a little boomy but with the mods. that everone says to do for about $5.00 its one heck of a good deal. It also came with a set up CD that helped dial this puppy in.

Purchased At:   Amazon