Atlantic Technology Technology 162 PBM Subwoofers

4.3/5 (23 Reviews) MSRP : $150.00

(See reviews)

Submitted by Brian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub in 1998 and used it as my main sub until early this year, when it started making loud pops at random times, even when in standby mode in the middle of the night! If you have this problem, like Travis below, contact Atlantic technology by e-mail and arrange a repair. They know about the problem and can fix it, but it will cost you the shipping, plus the parts, which I think only cost about $5 or so. They ended up replacing a couple of transistors, and putting little heat sinks on each one.

Anyway, I got mine repaired and it is now serving well in my bedroom as part of a second, stereo-only system. I used to use it as a home-theater sub, and I never was dissatisfied with it. When it failed, I purchased an NHT SuperSub, which is nicely built and goes deeper and louder than the 162, but might be a little bit "slower", unless it's just that it is going so much deeper that it is exciting a room resonance (I suspect) that the 162 could not reach. Last I checked, Travis, Onecall still had the NHT Supersubs on clearance for $256. I have bought three now - two for my HT setup (much bigger sound and two subs can help cancel room resonances), and one for my fiancee's house (hey, I'm over there most of the time anyway, and it will be in our bedroom in a few months). If you're using the 162 primarily for HT, I recommend checking out the NHT or another, more powerful sub. But it will be hard to beat the quickness and musicality of the 162.

Submitted by Travis a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wow, I was amazed and enchanted by by this sub for almost two years...but suddenly I'm getting random noises.. a whistle and then a very loud POP or THUD when the speaker sits idle. It's pretty much useless now I'm afraid. Sounds like other people haven't had this same problem much though, so I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to someone else.

Purchased At:   onecall

Submitted by Roy Drewett a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I added this unit to my home theatre consisting of a Yamaha RX-V590 receiver, Klipsch KSB 2.1 mains and a Klipsch SC.5 center. It is positioned in a small space inside my entertainment center. I could not believe the output for home theatre and stunning accuracy for music. I have a "good" ear for music, and this little guy gets the job done with ease. It is well worth the small price.

Submitted by DJ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up from a couple posts down. I sent my 162pbm in for repairs a couple months ago. It was returned in perfect condition, and sounds better than ever. So far, so good. Atlantic Tech gets an A+ for customer service and quality of repairs!

Submitted by Tony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
First sub I've owned, so I can't compare, but for such a small unit it sure puts out the base and its tight and accurate for cd's and tape and dvd. Got mine from sound city.com for $150 plus s&h. I cannot find anything locally that costs as little and sounds so big!! Coupled with two Definitive Technology ProMonitor 80 speakers (the sound coming out of these small units is amazing) I use as mains, I don't need anything larger.