Adire Audio Tempest
Description: DIY 15" long excusion subwoofer. Dual voice coil, 750 watts power handling, Fs 18.8Hz

Submitted by audiopile a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2003

Bottom Line:
Excellent sound and unbeatable price
Purchased 2 and placed in sealed well stuffed 2 cubic foot enclosure. Used Marchand 4 order xover @ 80 hz and Marchand variable Linkwitz transform unit. Powered by old Hafler 500.

-3 db @ 20 hz Q is variable using Basis I use .5 for audio and .7 for HT. When the cannon let go in the 1812 I need plastic couch covers for guests. Organ music would make structural supports for the house necessary.

Handles all music and HT with finese. With few exceptions I much prefer sealed bass and this delivers

Submitted by DokSoul a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I built an adire alignment, ported, 214 liter box for my Tempest. This is a big speaker box for my big room 50 X 20 ft. The design was from adire’s web site. I modified it (the web site builds a wooden box) to use a 24” sonotube calculated to be 37.5” long. The sound is much more natural than from the approx. 5 cubic foot, ported, 12” sub I’ve been using. These small ported subs are tuned high, peak appears to be around 35 Hz. So when listening to music or home theatre you get a good thump…but it’s essentially monotone. Monotone due to the fact that the fundamental note is missing, example instead of hearing 20 Hz you hear a strong 40 Hz signal only…completely unnatural, but plenty of thump – because a lot of it is around the peak. I’ve noticed that with the tempest I get the fundamental and a smoother even amplitude of harmonics…much more natural and satisfying. String bass and any other low sound never sounded better. The tempest sub, even with it’s two 3” diameter ports, is much less efficient than my Klipsch Heresey mains speakers. I had to turn the surround sound amp surround zones to –10db and the sub up to +5db to get the system balanced in my room. My balance is set for the bass to achieve a seamless and natural extension to my other speakers, not to dominate the sound. I’m driving the tempest with my NAD2200 100watts per channel to each coil – which appears to be plenty of power. My goal was not to achieve more sound pressure, I don’t need to shake the walls, but to achieve 10 to 15 Hz of lower freq response and a more natural sound. I got that! In adjusting my surround receiver I can set the peak level of power to send to the sub. You adjust this up to where the sub starts to distort or reaches max extension. I couldn’t find the upper limit on the Tempest, I stopped when I thought I was going to shake everything off the walls and I couldn’t stand how load it was. You know, I think these low freq strong notes actually cause your heart to change it’s beat and sync with it. WOW!
It cost me about $400 to build this not including the cost of the NAD amp. My biggest single cost, other than the speaker driver, was the sonotube. I had to buy 12’ length from the supply house to get the 37.5 inches I needed. If three people went in on the tube, a good cost savings would result. A rewarding project, but the $400 could have almost bought a SVS, HSU or the Adire Rava sub. These units would be easier to sell later if necessary. This might be consideration to take into account before building one yourself.

Purchased At:   Adire

Submitted by Vic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
Where to start? This subwoofer is simply amazing for the price. I have mine hooked up to one chan. of a mackie 1400i in my bedroom (500watts). Talk about sick bass. The box is a 4.5 cf box tuned to 21htz by way of a 2 4inch ports. It hits the lows with some real power and is indestructable. They RMS at 750 watts and will take my amp bridged to it like it is nothing (solid 1400watts). I have yet to see a HT sub that recreates music and movies with as much volume and clarity as this sub. If you are a DIY type of guy, go buy this sub... or the new aidre audio tumult that just came out. The build quality and customer service from adire are unmatched at any price.

Purchased At:   Adireaudio.com

Submitted by Jon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
Adire should send me a free sub for writing a good review ;)

I love this sub - it is a great price and moves a ton of air. Low frequencies beyond 20Hz really make the doors on my car move. I run mine in a 4 cubic foot (after displacements) ported box (two 30" x 4" ports) - tuned to 23Hz. It's unbelieveable in my hatchback to the point where it literally makes you nauseated, even at low volumes. The bass is so penetrating you have to turn the radio off for a while or go walk around.

Anyway.. I will be purchasing another Tempest this month plus a plate amp for my recording studio. The sub will accomodate my Mackie HR824's also. I am sure that this sub will let me hear my lows in the mix so I don't over boost them like I was previously doing.

Submitted by Frank K a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
After buying my JBL S412p's I was still lacking any REAL low end bass. SO I read up on almost every DIY forum and decided to give it a shot. I have it in a sonotube 66" long x 18" diameter, port is 26" x 6" tuned to about 16.5 hz. powered by the Parts Express 250 watt amp. WOW!!! It has shattered my wildest dreams!!! http://frank18202.tripod.com/sonosubconstruction/index.html

Purchased At:   Adire Audio Store