ACI Quake
Description: Powered subwoofer with dual 8" drivers

Submitted by Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Been pretty happy with this sub for movies and music since I got it, am writing this review because I did some reconfiguring lately and discovered its better than I thought! Set it up with a pair of PSB Alphas for casual music listening - I have them pointing into my kitchen now from the dining room.

It takes some fiddling to get things set up right, but it makes a huge difference getting it dailed in. I wish I had done this a long time ago. At first, in this appplication, the bass was too boomy. It made me realize it has always sounded a little boomy. What made things right was 1. plugging the rear ports in the PSBs and 2. turning the crossover down all the way to 50hz. I know that doesn't seem right, since the little PSBs can't go nearly that low (can they?), but it sounds great now. Turn the crossover up much higher and there seems to be overlap making things get boomy and a bit muddy.

Also, I put the PSBs on 29" stands, one in each corner of the room - before they were on top of unequal height bookcases. This seems to have helped a lot too. I now get pretty well balanced sound without any obvious emphasis from bass to treble, and no gaps that I can hear. Not exactly world-class for sure, but for $700 total in speakers it sounds pretty dang good, and WAY better than some $1,200 a pair towers I've heard recently. Solid, deep bass, and the Alphas are accurate and uncolored, if not exactly spectacular, they ARE good.

I agree with other comments that the Quake's volume control is too touchy - just be patient and get it right. The above steps are obvious to audiophiles, I'm sure, but I'm not one of those, I'm a musician, and lazy to boot. Hope these points help somebody else out.

I see from ACIs website that they have a new (more expensive, but not as much as the Titan) sub coming out and they're discontinuing the Quake. I think at $450 or so its a great deal in a sub, though I admit its the only one I have any experience with. You might want to pick one up at a closeout price.

Purchased At:   website

Submitted by christian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wow - I have had this sub for about two weeks now listening to both music and movies and was very pleased with the sound even during the break-in period.

I'm using it with the Outlaw 1050 reciever and ACI's MC2 sats and MC1 center channel.

Last night I decided to test this puppy on a pure action movie and rented the "Vertical Limit" DVD. I live in an apartment so I had the volume at a moderate level (I thought)- Until the heavy artillery in the movie fired of about six shots - WOW - I thought I was standing three feet away from the guns with no ear protection. Very loud, tight and clean booms rattled the living room. I had to turned the volume down since it was fairly late at night. I'm gonna play that scene again tonight a bit earlier and crank the volume - hope I don't get complaints from the neightbors.

Anyway back to sub - I am very impressed (to say the least). I was skeptical at first with the dual 8" providing the bass as compared to bigger 10" or 12" subs - not anymore.

I also like the adjustable crossover and phase knobs. I still plan to tweak a bit more to see if I can get even better sound.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this purchase.

Purchased At:   www.audioc.com (factory direct)

Submitted by Andy A a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I love this sub sooo much ( well i just love it )
I think i got an awesome deal on it.
I watched the perfect storm an hour ago and i'm still amazed.
i'm thinking of buying another one.
I like the deep tight clean loud bass this puppy has it's great for home theater my room is small and this is the perfect sub for small rooms the 2 8' drivers fill the room pretty good.

Purchased At:   From a Freind

Submitted by conco d a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
For the price i think this is an outsanding subwoofer for me a 15 year old that works at Wendy's.
All my freinds are gelous of my system.
Ha ha for them those fu*king scrubs.
I never new two 8 inch cones could do so much damage.
Great product for the price i like it and it goes low for me.

Purchased At:   factory direct

Submitted by Mike Tarr a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2001

Bottom Line:
Excellent choice for small to medium size rooms. I highly recommend this product. Great service from the folks at ACI too.

Purchased At:   ACI