Martin Logan Mosaic
MSRP  1995.00

Submitted by Dirk Kool a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2008

Bottom Line:
It is quite a few years ago when I heard the Martin Logan Mosaic speakers for the first time. This was in the Netherlands at Rhasody in Hilversum. It was an unforgettable experience. The speakers are quite small for a floorstanding speaker, but they could easily cope with all the music I listened to, including great orchestra's and organs. The soundstage was huge and the imaging was superb. Unfortunately I could not spend the money at that time.
Some five years later, I had some money to spend. I bought a pair of secondhand Totem Hawk speakers and a Rega Planet, a Rega Cursa and Rega Maia. Now I could really enjoy music.
A year later, I met someone who owned a pair of Mosaics. I had the opportunity to listen to them next to my Totem Hawks. Although I had great confidence in the Hawks, it was not very difficult to hear which speaker was better. The Mosaics surprised me again and outperformed the Hawks. They were more open, more detailed but smoother with strings and high voices. Only the imaging seemed a bit less precise in comparison, but I had not experimented with the placing a lot. Overall, I interchanged the Hawks for the Mosaics.
The next days, I began to experiment with the placing of the speakers. What a pain was that. It seemed, that every millimeter mattered. Finally, I got it just right. I can tell you, that these speakers like a lot of space all around. The imaging is now also superb and the soundstage is astonishingly deep. I have the feeling, that the weaknesses mentioned in the other reviews could be due to a not optimal placement of the speakers.
After some upgrades of my other equipment (I now have a Meridian 506.24, a Michell Orca preamp and Michell Alecto Monoblocks) and auditioning of a lot of other speakers, I am still very happy with the Martin Logan Mosaics and I can not think of a better speaker for the money you have to pay for them.

Submitted by limesinferior a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2008

Bottom Line:
I compared ML Mosaic to B&W 805s as according to specification both speakers cover similar frequencies and here in Poland are in similar price range. Moreover, I was especially courious about the legendary ML soundstage (however please be advised that Mosaics are not example of genuine MLs elctrostats). This was the third reason to compare MLs to B&W's monitors.

B&W soundstage was more precise, instruments and singers were much better positioned horizontally and vertically. For example, on Video Audio Sensory Theater CD I could "see" where the singer head was and where was his guitar (half meter lower). It was not possible on Mosaics. There was also a significant difference in depth. B&Ws play more forward and in 3D as ML's soundstage is not bad however somehow flat and musicans are positioned farther from the listener. Additionally, there was much more air around instruments with B&W's presentation. In my opinion BWs high frequencies are more precise. I can say that ML's presentation was warmer than B&Ws. Both speakers presented nice midrange, female and male vocals drew my attention. ML's bass seemed to go lower than on B&W however was not as punchy and fast.

To sum up, I liked jazz on both speakers, however B&W offered more precision. Rock is also in favour to B&W however in my opinion there is a need for a sub. Thick rock is too much for MLs. Classical music was involving on both speakers, however again B&W offered better, more precise soundstage and separation.

I was a little bit dissapointed as I expected more from MLs Mosaic. I am wondering how Mosaics compare to their older, more expensive electrostatic brothers.

Electronics:
A: Marantz SA 15s1 & PM 15s1
B: Yamaha A-S2000 & CD-S2000
Interconnect Enchantles Pro

Submitted by angsumanroy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
At Bestbuy, they bought out this company called Magnolia Hi-Fi. I decided to go take a look there,especially at their lower end Martin Logans. I listened to a demo of the Blue Man group on the Martin Logan Mosaics.
They sound very nice but ultimately fall short when compared to their electrostatic big brothers. As usual the soundstaging was excellent, especially in the horizantal plane. Vertical imaging was good too with head and chest voices seperated well. Imaging was very, very good. Not too much bass but respectable for what it is. Not as transparent as the electrostats. Very nice midrange and highs. However at 2000 dollars a pair, many other speakers come up that are just as good or better for less money. Magnepan mg 1.6 especially comes to mind. I didn't have extensive listening time with this speaker however. It is good to see that Hi-Fi is more accessible with Magnolia at Best Buy.

Purchased At:   Magnolia Home Theate