Phoenix Gold ATC-8.2
Description: Phoenix Gold ATC-8.2 8" 2-Way Ceiling Speakers

Submitted by mstevekelly a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2009

Bottom Line:
I have had these for about 3 years now. Installed in living room ceiling. I using 2 for fronts and 2 for surrounds. The mid range and high frequencies are pretty good. The lows are somewhat less than desireable at higher levels. I have a Polk 12 in 505 series powered subwoofer so the bass response in these don't matter too much to me. Maybe if I put an enclosure around these speakers in the attic the bass response would be much better. I would not recommend these if you like playing your music very loud, again maybe with enclosures in my attic would make a difference, but they do distort at extreme volumes. I have these with the Polk subwoofers, a yamaha NS-C225 center channel, and a Denon AVR 1609 7.1 receiver. And I have to say, after I ran the automatic sensing equalizing function on the receiver, my system sounds pretty good. I plan on replacing these with higher end speakers in the future. But for the price, I really can't complain. They were very easy to install and are well built.

Submitted by davidk63 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
Marginal even for the price. Not much in the way of highs, but the low end is okay. Decent for background music, but you won't brag to your friends about the sound quality. They are well built and trouble free.