NHT CS-6.1 Ci
Description: 2-Way In-Ceiling Speaker - 6.5" Long-Throw Polpropylene Woofer And 1" Soft Dome Tweeter Coaxially Mounted

Submitted by Mark a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
A great buy - I'm totally pleased with the sound.

Purchased At:   Audio Buys

Submitted by franko a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
If you are like me and has a wife that will no way in heck let you hang boxes from your ceiling or walls you have been forced in to in wall / ceiling speakers.

Or maybe you want a very neat clean looking room.

One important note for those considering carving up your walls and ceilings. If you can convince yourself to stick to some kind of boxes...do it. Even if you go with a very small Energy Take 5, synergy 6 or AR edge system or even (god forbid) bose system; you will be keeping the sound in your room not in the wall or the attic. If you still must have invisible speakers buy the best you can afford; once you cut a hole it is permanent.

My home theater room has two front ceiling and two back ceiling speakers, NHT super center and Klipsh KSW 12 speaker. Sony 555ES receiver.

I previously test drove Jbl as65C $130/pr, paridigm ams100r $240/pr and BIC sr6 $99/pr. The paradigm sounded the best and was very bright. The Jbl was good and the BIC was lousy weak highs and lows. I bought the Jbl's and installed them they were nice buy because they are in my 12 foot ceilings near the corners they feel very detached. Worst of all they felt weak in the high frequencies.

I then gave the NHT 6.1, 6.3 and B&W ccm65 a try. The B&W's did not sound better, definitely not $400/pr better. The NHT 6.3 sounded diffused because of the tri-tweet design. I also feel that trio of tweeters muffled the rest of the speaker. The 6.1's had a clear tweeter very smooth sound and a wide range.

I bought 2 pairs of 6.1s nervously carved up my ceiling and duct taped some big 12in baffles around each of them to keep the dirt, bugs, water and whatever else out of them(highly recommend it). I ran some 12guage, shielded, twisted pair wire that I found in Allied electronics catalog. They sound good buy they require twice the power as my old Infinity sm100s to get to the same sound level.

They are great for movies and my wife is happy...but for music I still go to my back room where my Nad amp and Infinities reside.