JBL SCS135 Home Theater Speaker Systems

4.61/5 (38 Reviews) MSRP : $400.00

6-Piece Home Theater Speaker System

Submitted by jason a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2014

Bottom Line:
A friend of mine called me said he found the sub 135 at a yard sale for practically nothing and brought it to me and I hooked it up with existing stereo consisting of two sony 10 inch subwoofers I let the jbl stand by it self and since then this the only sub I use and it sounds tighter and clean and more deep than the two sony subs combined. it also is as heavy as both of them put together so as far build quality it is top notch don't expect it to go too deep but for what I'm using it for is just right for my budget sounding 7.1 sony system I also tried comparing the two subs on a oneon one comparison and hands down at least in my book the jbl sub135 took that battle hands downas far as a budget minded person you cant go wrong for an apartment or small living room in a small to medium house I would love a 12 inch version of this amazing little sub with that much noise coming out of an 8 inch speaker truly that good!

Submitted by Randy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
These speakers are real ear pleasers. The size does cause some concern on first glance, however, when the system is turned on in a listening environment you soon realize they are capable and worthy performers. Most of the reviews I read and checked were positive with a few expected exceptions.
I already had a set of JBL fronts and this system was a quick and easy integration into the "home theatre" As practising musician I have always been facinated by the audiophiles quest for perfection in the imperfect world of sound and music. If you are a self-proclaimed audiophile then don't buy these speakers because nothing short of the "audiophile recommended" and notably more expensive speakers will do it for you. If you are a music lover and love movies, I am sure these speakers will move you sufficently to do what they are designed to do, without complaint or criticism; make your movie experience FANTASTIC!!

Submitted by Ross a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
Reviewed the product on this website and then located the last set in a large local electrical shop chain. Very impressed with the combination of sounds

Submitted by sberamji a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2003

Bottom Line:
The system is very poor when catering to someone with a ear for music. Its pretty exciting for someone who just bought a home theatre setup hence the good reviews, but try to push these babies into the audiophile range and they suck big time.

The sattelites are too small and as said before dont produce enough lower mids. Thus the sub has to be crossed over high which spoils the imaging completely. The sub is too boomy when turned up but I must say it does put out decent bass for an 8" woofer.

The center channel is devoid of life and often makes you stress to hear the dialouges clearly. The sats have a bright nature as well and on turning up the volume will over power you with a bright sound. Do not buy this system if your an audiophile on a budget. Save up and buy your speakers set by set.

Submitted by RodneyMunch a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is my first dive into any sort of audio equipment other than the speaker that is built into a TV. I discovered this wonderful website, and in just a few months have learned massive amounts of information and even now consider myself somewhat educated when it comes to Middle to Low end audio equipment.

Now, from what you've read above you can conclude that I was going into this with no pre conceived notions about any particular brand. I wanted to spend as little as possible and get the best 'bang' for the buck. I mainly focused on three systems. My first choice was Polk RM6600 or the newly released Polk RM7200. The first one is now in the upper $600 range which after I figured in price I'd pay for cables and receiver would leave me with over $1K less in my bank account. Although I could afford this amount, I'm not sure I would appreciate this type of system to it's fullest extent considering it would be my first. After giving Polk many serious considerations I finally convinced myself to take one step down and look at some lower priced products. I must say that from all the research I've done on the net JBL SCS135 stood out like no other. Virtually every opinion I had read was a positive one. Finally, I decided to take the plunge and bought this tight little package at Etronics.com which I thought was an online outlet only, but turned out to have a retail location in the city I live (NYC) so I was able to pick it up and save myself a cool $40.

I hooked this system up to a Yamaha HTR 5565 receiver mainly for movie and video game experience and may I say that so far I think the system sounds fantastic. I can compare it to a few people's systems that cost significantly more and actually there is no comparison. The bass is very tight and very deep, so far the system has been able to reproduce every type of sound I've thrown at it at a very accurate rate.
Currently I have it running with the wires it came with. Hence, the sound will be improved once I update the wires thsi weekend, however, if the system sounds this good with generic wires I can only imagine what it'll sound with Monsters. I'm using Digital out from my XBOX and my video games never sounded so amazing. The precision on Base is really what impresses me the most. I think it's critical to pair up this system with a decent receiver, such as Yamaha HTR models since they pocess an individual amp per speaker, and at only 450watts they produce a stronger and better sound than most 700w model receivers.

In terms of looks, the system in my opinion is very cosmetic. The subwoofer looks prettier than most and speaker size is desirable for a small room such as mine. Also, do not let the small speaker size fool you, it is capable of producing an extremely loud reproduction with hardly detectible distrotion.

In terms of price I think this package is a no brainer. As said above I was able to get this for $219 and I can honestly say that it's on par if not better with some systems I've encounterd for up to triple that cost. If you are a casual audio listener who'd like to make a step into a low end but sound like middle end audio this is the right choice for you.

Purchased At:   Etronics.com