Bose Lifestyle 25 II Home Theater Speaker Systems

2.64/5 (42 Reviews)

Complete Home Theater System ...Lifestyle II with Dolby Digital Decoding

Submitted by accousic psycho a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2013

Bottom Line:
when was the last time you felt your spine tingle or your gut feel the rumble of a well set up bose i would say about 10 years ago when i heard an am9 bose i cant afford thongs. got one of ebay 250 the subs blew the front off the ageing rockers sub box, no distortion from the crystal well set up (raised/directioned) logitek rear admiraling tweeter cubes. my sony tekonichi ran them to truly breathtaking dynamic with the edinborough drum and chior. sorry for expecting a drum to sound like "the" drum and not like a boot/trunk full of vibrators umm sorry?

Submitted by Paul a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
I am not happy with this system at all, I have had it for 7 years. My wife and I can't hear the vocals in movies. I went for the small, clean , simple packaging of this system. I am now convinced Bose is mostly about marketing, and that they way overcharge for their products. I will not buy Bose again.

I am trying to decide between spending way less next time for a system of the same size or spending the same amount as I did for the Bose on a much bigger better system.

Purchased At:   Bose Store

Submitted by Les K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
First off, I will not comment extensively on the sound of this product. Enough has been said about that by other reviewers, and it is obvious that sound quality is highly subjective and that there are many different opinions. My main intent here is to hopefully guide the inexperienced home theatre purchaser and to try and dissuade you from wasting your money on such a product. I will not comment about other users’ opinions or qualifications.

To the novice HT purchaser: The huge disparity in opinions regarding this and most Bose products should be a big “red flag” to you. You have come to this website for advice and are confronted with a confusing variety of comments. Let me make a statement, and it is my most serious objection to this company’s entire product line: In general, the Bose products are priced much higher than their worth. Read on and let me tell you why. Remember that in my opinion there is nothing inherently wrong with using these manufacturing techniques or inferior materials, but I believe that there is something VERY wrong with charging so much for such a product.

1. The electronics module-It is an inexpensively produced unit that is non-upgradeable and not easily repairable. It is made primarily of cheap plastic. If something goes wrong with the CD player portion of the unit for example and if you are out of the warranty period, you will have to send the entire unit in for repair. The CD player portion (or any other portion of this unit for that matter) cannot just be replaced on its own in the event of component failure. It lacks simple basic functions that even the most rudimentary receiver includes these days, such as DTS decoding and Dolby Digital decoding.
2. Speaker quality-These are low quality paper cones with foam surrounds. The foam will deteriorate probably within a few years. Using cheap paper for the cones will result in cone breakup and non-linearities, along with unfaithful sound reproduction and narrow frequency response. These drivers have very cheap stamped baskets and could probably be bought at the local electronic store for 3 to 10 dollars each. Of course there are exceptions to the paper cone issue-Sonus Faber and Triangle will use paper cones, but they are nothing like the ones in the Bose speakers. Some manufacturers will use high quality paper mixed with carbon fiber or other materials to add stiffness without adding weight.
3. The Bass Module-Again, sporting the same low quality drivers in a bandpass subwoofer configuration. The crossover for the speaker system also is contained inside of this unit. This bandpass configuration and the crossover point are the main reasons why so many folks are complaining of “muddy” or “unclear” sound from music. The bass module is trying to reproduce too much of the midrange sound. This “midrange” is the most important part of the music (and soundtrack dialogue) and it is where vocals reside. You will notice excessive “chestiness” or “huskiness” of male voices. Many musical instruments will not be clear and clean.

I’ve gone on long enough, but at least I hope to have caused you to research and think more about your upcoming purchase and to audition other systems. At this point in your home theatre “career” you could look at many other “home theatre in a box” solutions that are much cheaper and will sound better. Systems from Sony, Yamaha, Onkyo, Denon, etc, etc. would be good alternatives.

Again, I repeat, this is not a rant against Bose necessarily, but I hate the fact that they are charging people that don’t know any better thousands of dollars more than what the product is worth. This system at around 300 to 500 dollars would be more in line with what it is worth in my opinion.

For reference, my system is as follows:

1. Vienna Acoustics Beethoven main speakers
2. Paradigm reference center speaker
3. Martin Logan Depth subwoofer, 3-8" drivers mounted in "balanced force" array (for 2 channel music only)
4. 2 Dahlquist DQ200 isobaric subwoofers, 2-10” drivers in each unit, used for movies only.
5. Boston Acoustics in wall surrounds for movies only.
6. Yamaha RXV 2095 receiver used for movies only.
7. Krell 2 channel analog preamp for music only but with HT bypass.
6. Musical Fidelity 2 channel power amp for music only, but used to drive the Vienna’s during movies via the Krell.
8. Toshiba SD 9200 DVD player
9. Sony SCD 555ES SACD player.
10. Sony GWIII LCD projection TV.

Submitted by Derek1971 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2004

Bottom Line:
One of my good friends purchased the Bose Lifestyle system and a second friend followed suit and did the same. I had patiently waited to get my new system, reading reviews, listening to a lot of differnt systems, and watching for sales. I was in the same price range as the Bose and was most torn between what speakers to get. My top two choices in my price range were Polk and Klipsch. I felt Polk was better for music and Klipsch was better for movies. I ended up going with Klipch speakers and a Polk Sub. To power them I purchased a Pioneer Elite Receiver ($600.00). My system is made up two Klipsch SF-2 floor standing speakers ($600.00), a Klipsch SC-1 center channel ($280.00), Klipsch Quintet speakers for surround sound ($75.00), and a Polk PSW -650 sub ($550). Add a DVD player (Panasonic RP91 $300.00) and you have a complete home theater system ($2500.00) Yes, the system is explained is bigger and takes up some room, but there is a reason for that. Good sound is going to cost you money and SPACE. Both Bose friends listened to my system at the same time, I first played music and cranked to a level Bose could never go, then I put in a movie (Blade 2) with a good action scene. They both just sat there like they were in a movie theater watching my Sony HDTV big wide screen TV.
The first remark was "but how much?" and I told him I got if for about $500 less then his system. "no way" yes way my friends, Bose is good for the size, but its like racing a honda 4 cyl against a Vette V-8, there is no comparison! Yes, the Honda is smaller, but the Vette blows it away, now just imagine the Honda cost $60,000.00! Who would buy a Honda over a Vette? I'll tell you, a real idiot! Bose finatics need to clean their ears or something and learn to shop and compare. Both friends are still making monthly payments on thier Bose which they both admit sucks compared to my system, and both admit making a HUGE mistake.

Purchased At:   None

Submitted by Coco Marantz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
If I may... Personally, I do like the sound of an old Bose AM 5 speaker system I purchased about 10 years ago. It's still hooked up to my Naim Nait 2. And personally, it's a mis-match from hell : ) So here's where I commit the Audiophile's Sin ... I attach an Equaliser to it.

I liked them then, but now's a different matter. Having experienced many speaker auditions prior to making my purchase for my Home Theatre system, I do now hear where Bose Speakers (and I do refer to the Acoustimass systems only) leave a 'gap' in the audio spectrum.

I guess the logic to this on-going fiasco lies with personal preference. If ya like it, buy it. And if ya don't like it, then it's 'next puhleeese'.

Plain and simple, and enough with the bashing already : )

Purchased At:   A HiFi Store