Acoustic Research HC6 Home Theater Speaker Systems

4.6/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $449.99

Acoustic Research HC6 6-Piece Home Theater Speaker System

Submitted by Kevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2006

Bottom Line:
I got these because of the price, and all the great reviews from AudioReview. In one review, someone posted a link to an Audiophile magazine that gave them a few Editor's Choice awards. I am big on audio QUALITY as in bitrates, but I wouldn't say I have such specific tastes in speakers. Maybe its because I've never compared speakers to speakers in a perfect setting.
Anyway, I didn't want to go the crappy best buy box route. So..After reading these reviews and seeing the price, I went for them. Figuring "Hey! All these great reviews...how can they be bad?"
I am very pleased with these speakers. The bass is not weak at all...I have the volume very low on it and still some movies shake the walls to death. I believe the speakers themselves are very articulate...when watching the first Lord of the Rings when Frodo is in the forest by himself...You can hear every bird chirp and every grasshopper buzz behind you...Seems to me that a speaker that lets you hear those fine, fine details HAS to be rockin.
The only bad part, though its not the speaker's fault...Was my Sony tuner. At this point in life I cannot afford to drop $600 on a tuner. After fiddeling with my tuner enough, I got these speakers to sound waaaayyy better than they did out of the box. The bass is very responsive...and it REALLY makes it damn near close to the rated 30Mhz freq. No exaggeration there.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by beefeater a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2005

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a great sounding system on the cheap, this will fit the bill. When set up with my Onkyo tx-sr503 receiver, sounds more expensive than it is.
Many people say that the subwoofer is not powerful enough, but room placement is the villain. In my dorm, had the subwoofer under my desk and almost no bass came to me. When I got up, the bass was too powerful. I move the sub next to my fridge and the bass spreads out more evenly. This weird bass placement somehow stops the sound from escaping outside too.
The treble is excellent and the bass isn't muddy. The midrange seems a little recessed, but not incredibly so. They do not distort at loud volumes much, but not great for listening to at very low volumes (lower than voice).
Esthetically, I've never seen better looking speakers. Piano black finish looks "sexy" according to people who have seen them; I tend to agree. I've had no problems with the sub popping.

Purchased At:   J&R New York (pick u

Submitted by rfrobb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
Unbelievable!! What more can I say!! Absolutely clear sound reproduction for the price. Sub cranks with the best of them, and it is LARGE. This speaker system works well for both CD audio and Surround Sound (DVD's). A super bargain at this pricepoint.

The finish on these speakers are unsurpassed (Piano black with an almost mirror-like finish) and AR even provides a set of white gloves to avoid finger prints during installation!! These puppies look and sound expensive. Little do my friends suspect that I acquired them on the cheap.

I purchased these WITHOUT hearing them based on reviews from other individuals on AR products in general. My only suprise was that they were far better than imagined. With the small size, they are unobtrusive in the room until you crank them, then they sound like much more expensive speakers.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Bottom Line:
Absolutely a wonderful sounding system with my HK 525. These speakers are smooth and loud. acoustic guitars sound as if they are being played in the room with you.

Purchased At:   HH Gregg

Submitted by mazzter a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I initially planned on getting Polk RM6000 set, which are around $300, but after listening to them, and then the HC6, it was like day and night. Polks are completely flat. These ones have sound. Connected to Sony DE875 receiver, those speakers can get VERY loud (for a medium sized room). The sub is great. Very tight bass. What i dislike about the sub though, although i dont know how it is on other systems, is that it tends to shut off if no signal is sent to it, producing a mild pop.

Purchased At:   J&R

Rear Center speaker to go with AR HC6

I'm new here, and looking for a little advice. I'm putting together a first HT system. I've got an Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver and a set of AR-HC6 speakers. The receiver is 6.1 and the speakers are 5.1, so I'm looking for a rear center speaker. Unfortunately, I can't find anything on the web for Aco ... Read More »

Acoustic Research AR HC6

I was just wondering if you guys think the Acoustic Research AR HC6. I was also wondering if you guys could help me out in picking a nice reciever for them at or under 200 dollars. These will mostly be used for Audio more than video, and will be hooked up to my computer through coax digital with a ... Read More »