Acoustic Research HC5
Description: Home Theater Speaker System

Submitted by jtroscinski a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought a refurbished set and can't be more pleased. They sound as good as my Infinity RS4000's, but have more bass definition. They have a clean sound. Their imaging isn't as good as the HC6's but it is good. The low midrange seems slightly weak, but can be compensated.

It is highly unfortunate AR went out of business. It certainly wasn't due to a poor product, as much as poor management by Recoton. I understand Audiovox 'bought' them, but I haven't heard much since. This could be their high end product that could improve their brand equity, if they play their cards right.

Purchased At:   Factory Clearance Ce

Submitted by Techuser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought these ones because of the reviews and to be honest I wasn't sure about it...however for $170 it was worth the try...YOU CAN'T IMAGINE HOW THIS SYSTEM ROCKS UNLESS YOU HAVE ONE!!! This is amazing the sub just pounds as a 20 lb. hammer, it comes with the floor spikes and all the circuitry to connect the front speakers throught it. Now the satellites, oh my friend the satellites ... these are so clear and accurate that you would not believe it!! And Small...you won't notice'em...and they come with the mounting brackets for the wall (kind of annoying to install but once done, they look very nice). And as if that is not enough, quality speaker wire is included in your kit...and is enough to wire a 144 sqft room. I bought the speaker stands from AR that match my system (ARStands HC5S) and again, they are annoying to install but once done...you'll be a happy man. They look sleek and modern with a nice AR logo on top of them. The center channel reproduces vivid and clear sounds and dialogues and comes with double driver instead of just one....I got them hooked up to my Onkyo TX-SR600 and I couldn't be happier!!!. With the same amount of money, I would buy this combination again...(Better than Yamaha's HT Boxes, Bose's 901-II and Acoustimass...)

Purchased At:   Factory Clearance Ce

Submitted by jmkross a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
Pretty simple, for the price, these are damn good. I knew I wasn't getting the best speakers, nor was I getting the worst. They sound good, but they sound great when you crank the volume. The mids and mid-range bass are a little weak, but it can be helped with a little EQ tweaking. The sub is a little too thumpy sometimes, but that just means adjusting it too.

Purchased At:   overstock.com

Submitted by Greg Dugger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend these speakers and challenge anyone to find a better deal than 139.99! Great sound, excellent bass and exceptional styling. I must admit that I was hesitant to order factory refurbished merchandise, but they arrived in perfect condition without even a small blemish!

Purchased At:   factoryclearancecent

Submitted by Rollie Seibert a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
The AR HC5 speaker system blew me away! I heard them at CES in Las Vegas and ordered a set for my daughter. But first I set them up at home so I could compare them to my very expensive ($2000+)speaker system. In surround mode I couldn't tell the difference! (actually the sub-woofer outperformed my M&K).

Purchased At:   etronics