Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference3 Speakers

• Frequency Response(active bass): 22Hz - 50kHz +/- 3dB
  • Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
  • Sensitivity: 88 dB/1 Watt/1 metre
  • Power Handling: 350 Watts
  • Driver: Dual 4" carbon fibre midrange drivers Custom 10" dual voice coil bass driver
  • CDT Tweeter: 300 degree dispersion 3kHz - 50kHz
  • Midrange Driver Material: Carbon fibre
  • Dimensions: 889 mm (H) 203.2 x (W) x 406.4 (D)
  • Weight: 47lb/21.3 kg each
  • Connections: Gold plated all metal binding posts for secure wire connection
  • Finishes: Black or stainless steel with black, cherry or maple base.
  • Warranty: 5 Years Parts and Labour

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Simca a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2014

Bottom Line:
    To make a long story short...I own the 3.1 and been around speaker for the past 25 years.
    For their price, around 3k , these are by far the best speakers out there if you are a jazz fan.
    Hands down.
    You need to feed them with a quality tube amp, put maple wood stands under them with brass footers and you get the best jazz speaker in the world for 3k.
    That's it.
    Thanks!

Submitted by daviethek a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2011

Bottom Line:
    Well, I have had these for 6 years now. Just happy to report that the quality is such that the sound is still fresh. I play the hell out of them, since I love music and particularly music played through these speakers.
    They have nicely survived at least 4 revisions of sources and amplifiers

Nothing to add to what has already been said except do not hesitate to buy used. I can attest to their endurance. Also, the folks at Gallo are polite and smart. Cheers.

Submitted by medyod a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2011

Bottom Line:
    I’ve had these speakers (mine are 3.1s) for over two years now, and I totally love everything about them (including their looks, which I wasn’t initially crazy about). They’ve got fantastic bass extension; they’re flat down to 34 Hz, and down to 22 Hz with the woofers’ second voice coils driven (which kind of makes me wonder about people who want to use these with a subwoofer, since they’ve really got subwoofer reach just on their own) -- and their deep, tight bass seems very little affected by placement or room acoustics, making them suitable for lots of different spaces. (In contrast, my Paradigm Studio 60s -- which, to be sure, I really loved -- sounded rather boomy if they were too close to the walls, and my set-up makes it impractical to have my speakers a couple feet out from the walls.) The Gallos' tweeters are absolutely magnificent, reproducing overtones like nothing I’ve ever heard before – Jimmy Cobb’s cymbals on Miles Davis’s "Kind of Blue," Nana Vasoncelos’s bells and percussion on Colin Walcott and Don Cherry's "Codona," the triangles on the Modern Lovers' "The Sweeping Wind," John French's frenzied cymbals on Captain Beefheart's "Sugar and Spikes" – they all just sound fantastically real and alive. I read one review which commented that the sound of these tweeters brings to mind the difference between hearing low bass on headphones, and being *moved* by the visceral feel of low bass heard in a room; in something like the same way, these tweeters really reproduce the *percussiveness*, the movement of air, that's involved in bursts of high treble energy -- that comment gets it exactly right, I think. I assume that it’s the extremely wide dispersion of the tweeter (which radiates 300°), together with the fact that these speakers are without crossovers above 300 Hz (the tweeter acts as a natural capacitor, resisting signals below its range, and even right up in front of them, the hand-off to the tweeter is utterly seamless), that make the stereo imaging of these so breathtaking. Whatever it is that accounts for their widely remarked imaging qualities, these are the first speakers I’ve had with such a wide soundstage, which is appreciable from all listening angles, not just seated immediately between them. Among the many interesting test-cases for the glory of these speakers is the Grateful Dead's "In the Attics of My Life" (on the remastered version of "American Beauty"); the really loud peaks of the band's chorused voices sounds harsh and distorted on many a fine speaker, but my Gallos handle this high-energy mid-range stuff splendidly. They really do everything well: Fantastically deep and tight bass, great imaging, and a matchless tweeter. It's no wonder (and this is among the most telling facts about these) that several of the professional audio writers who've reviewed these ended up buying the speakers themselves.

I don't know whether the new 3.5s are worth the considerably higher price (they sell for over $5000), but since they're way out of my price-range, I'm just really thankful that I managed to score a pair of 3.1s (as demos) for $2,500 before they were superseded by the new models. I'd certainly recommend buying a pair of 3.1s used if you can find them. I've got mine mounted on Soundocity outriggers, which are a fantastic addition -- they make the speakers *way* more stable (less susceptible to tipping), and tighten up the bass.

After using my Gallos with an NAD C370 (which did quite well), I'm now using mine with an Odyssey Cyclops Extreme integrated amp, which is an absolutely splendid pairing. Other equipment includes a Cambridge Audio Azur 740C disc player, which I most often use as a DAC with a Wadia 170 iTransport.

Previous speakers used: B&W DM601s, Paradigm Reference Studio 60s.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Don C a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2010

Bottom Line:
    I sold a pair of B&W N802's because I was moving into a smaller place and when I heard the Ref 3.1's at a friends I decided to order the Ref 3.5's. All I can say is....I don't miss the B&W's. The N802's could definitely play louder, but they sucked power like a camel drinks water. You need something like a Bryston 14B SST or a pair of 7B SST's to make them really shine. Anything less is a major compromise. The Gallo's on the other hand sound awesome with a Bryston 4B or 3B SST or a Parasound Halo A 21 or A23 depending on room size. They have the least fatiguing tweeter I have ever heard, but very detailed. I am powering them in a surround system with an
    Axiom Audio A1400-8, digital power amp and I'm using an electronic low pass filter to run 2 of the channels on the amp into the second voice coils in the woofer. I would highly recommend this. For audio only listening it makes a subwoofer redundant. I still use a sub for HT effect, but it is most definitely not required. As far as imaging goes I was astounded. These speakers image as good as anything I've ever heard, Acoustat Electrostatics, Magnepans, Martin Logans. They will surprise you, and they are much better at this than the 3.1's. They are also better than the Strada's with a TR-3 sub... I have both set ups. The Stradas with the sub just don't have the mid bass the 3.5's do. They are very good, but the 3.5's are better, particularly if you drive the second voice coils. I've heard them with the Gallo S.A. amp and they sound awesome.... worth the money in my opinion. You can really tune the speakers to your room by changing the woofers from pointing towards or away from each other and improve bass response dramatically. At the price they are a steal and are giant killers. One major plus to driving the second voice coils that I find is at lower listening levels you can still get excellent bass response. With my B&W N802's they never sounded good unless they were really being driven loud.... and they sounded amazing. These sound very good at much lower sound pressure levels and can also be played quite loud. Overall I am impressed and surprised by the performance offered by these relatively small speakers. They may be physically small, but they project a sound stage second to none.

Submitted by Phillip McCrevis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2010

Bottom Line:
    Got the Gallos and it was like, hooo-weeeeee, that's a speaker!

Listened to them for a while and decided to break them in. Piled on the sleeping bags and all; you know how it goes. Cranked the volume all the way up and left them going for almost 9 months. Well, all I can say is when I took the sleeping bags off it was another wah-wah-wah-waaaaaaaaaah, if you know what I mean. Got these things planted in my room and nine months later a baby was born! I cry a lot now, but I'm not the baby. The real baby is the binky-fisted sucker who spends his stolen cash on brand-x.

You got your 3's and you got your 3.1's. Now, low and behold, you got your 3.5's. I recommend the 3's or the 3.5's. If you spend and spend to up grade to 3.1 you are only getting .1 more! I recommend going for the whole .5 enchilada.

If you are, like myself, into impressing your friends, I want you to know something. When I switch on the amps and shift into play, my friends see my speakers and they drop a deuce while I squint a smile out of the side of my face, to where a video camera would be if they were filming my hi-fi journey. After sharing a secret smile with the viewers it's off to music land, where this baby goes to sleep peacefully knowing he will rise again the next morn to spend a few more thousand...

shhh...

Look at him twitch. He's dreaming about buying something better.