Yamaha NSM-10 Floorstanding Speakers

3.07/5 (28 Reviews)

Submitted by Walter Vaught a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
These speakers are God sent.

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Submitted by SimonFuzzy a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
It's been interesting to observe the press this product gets. Either people love it or hate it, but more accurately it's just misunderstood. I've been a sound engineer for roughly a decade and worked locally and abroad on various genres and while I agree there are far better sounding speakers on the market it's encouraging to know there's always one reference everyones's got. NS-10's. And sure, you may think your boom box has got a better sound, but the '10's have an uncanny ability to translate mixes into the real world. Any now that they're off production I wonder what will take their place. Basically, I hated them until I learned better. (BTW-Try not to put them sideways like you see in the pictures!) This is a product for engineers, not for "audiophiles."

Submitted by Nikola a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love this product.

Submitted by Me a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
It seems that the NS10's are probably the most misunderstood product in any audiophile's history book. As a student who's been building a home studio for the past 2 years I spent a long time looking for the right studio monitors on a budget (this was a 12 month search). I quickly came to the conclusion that the NS10's only value is that it has been adopted as the industry standard reference monitor and can thus be found in any real studio anywhere in the world. This is a comforting fact for any musician heading into a studio with foreign equipment. It gives them a starting point in producing a successful mix.

The NS10's however are useless as the sole studio monitor in a studio. They simply don't cut it for producing successful mixes on their own. I finally settled on Tannoy's Reveals. These speakers are awesome for their price tag. In the comfort of my own studio I can produce better mixes with these than could be achieved purely with NS10's. But for any musician who spends time in multiple studio's using different monitors the NS10's are a valuable reference point that increases the ease with which a fantastic mix can be produced.

Please don't buy these speakers for HiFi use - you will be disapointed because this is not what Yamaha intended these useful little speakers for. My biggest whinge however is the price. Passive Tannoy Reveals are the same price as NS10's were when new (or near enough anyway). They are worth about half this for what they are capable of.

WARNING: These speakers will annoy you if you use them for hi fi listening!

Submitted by Frank Silano a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to say that I am a professional recording engineer / producer and have been using NS-10M's for the better part of 10 years. I have a personal pair and I regularly use a studio's pair or bring mine if they don't have them which is very unlikely. Anyway, I know these speakers intimately and that is the point of them - they are to be used FOR REFERENCE by ENGINEERS who know what they are for. They are not hi-fi speakers and never will be. I see some comments about bad mixes on these speakers and all I can say is that it boggles my mind to think about the multitude of the greatest recordings of our time that were tracked on NS-10M's. One more thing, no engineer or studio in their right mind would depend on these or any other speaker as their SOLE reference for mixing or tracking. What it comes down to for me is that when I am in my own personal control room I know exactly what all of my speakers are telling me and the NS10-M's are a big part of that because when I am in a foreign and unfamiliar environment I know that I am going to have that reference that the NS10-M's give me and then I go from there maybe going back to the NS's every now and then for a sanity check. Hope this clears up some issues for the Audiofiles out there who are unfamiliar with the recordin/production process.

Regards,