Yamaha NS A50X Floorstanding Speakers

- Value oriented, magnetically shielded 2-way bass reflex speaker.
- Speaker is magnetically shielded, so it can be placed on a TV or video monitor without degrading the picture via stray magnetic fields.
- Five way binding posts make connections easy and the gold plating provides the finest electrical bond.
- New grille design and satin grille cloth provide an attractive and acoustically transparent protective cover for the drivers.
- The profile radius wrapped black finish cabinet provides a handsome style accent and improves the acoustic performance by reducing cabinet interference and assuring the proper dispersion of sound.

Submitted by Lance a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Was going to buy the small Sony ssmb100 for my rear speakers for fifty-dollars since my front speakers are Sony ssmb110 and they sound perfect I thought they might also. After listening for a while a Best Buy I went down to my local Fry's and checked the ad out at the door. To my surprise they had these Yamaha's on sale for dirt cheap. I checked them out and thought this must be a mistake, these look and sound like $200 dollar speakers. Took them home attached them to Teac receiver put Star Wars Attack of the Clones on to chapter 28 and sat in the middle of the room and thought what a bargin. You will need to buy these for your rears.

Purchased At:   Fry's

Submitted by Masud a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
Using for the bedroom in a stereo set-up with a JBL Subwoofer, Denon stereo receiver, and Sony CD player. Acceptable performance for the price paid! Mids are a bit dull, but this may change with some break-in time. Would not recommend for the Fronts in a home-theatre application.

Purchased At:   On sale @ Fry's Elec

Submitted by Harpo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
In short these speakers are great for surround sound . They handle all the power you throw at them with-out any break-up. The bass only goes down to 80hz,so you may want to add a small sub as I have done and set the subs cross-over at 80hz to handle the bass on down..trust me,you will swear your listening to huge towers with this application!

Submitted by Tobin Price a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
They would be awsome for surround speakers, littel old ladies and tone deff people, you would need a sub if they were used as main speakers, but they can take more than my MTX aal 1030's that are rated at 150W. Over all I think they were what I payed for

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by James a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
My needs were pretty demanding for speakers. They had to be bookshelf, they had to be magnetically shielded, they had to have a small foot print, and they had to be under 200$ These are about the only ones that fit the bill. Though Im looking at the NS-A60Xs now. These dual 5.25" two way setup is great for me since I already have a sub but when I turn the sub off they probably dont have any response below 150hz so Im kinda SOL for anything between 80hz to 150hz which sucks and is the reason I plan to try the A60Xs. They do get very loud without distorting and had a very small breakin period (like 30 min). I usually dont like metal tweeters but these don't seem harsh to me what so ever. The mids aren't very bright but very accurate.

All in all I'd rather have these as my surrounds never as my front speakers. They'd fit the bill perfectly for rear surrounds.

Purchased At:   Best Buy