Yamaha NS-1000
MSRP  1900.00

Submitted by Arche-r a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2014

Bottom Line:
I heard them shortly for the first time about 30 years ago. It was confusing experience - never heard loudspeakers of such clarity. I was sure it must have been at the expense of power and bandwidth which were important to me then. But since that day the NS-1000 were always on my mind as speakers I should return to.

Two years ago I found a pair of the home version in ebony veneer. By no means they were cheap but the pleasure they provide to eyes and ears is worth every penny.

During late night sessions, in a deep black silence, the NS-1000 combined with Sony TA-E/N86B, Technics SP-10/II and AT-OC9/III disappear leaving a listener with a big tridimensional scene made of crystal sounds filling entire space. With classical music, it's like floating in front of the TajMahal or gothic cathedral built of vibrant air.

The Magical Mystery Tour.

Submitted by Dale C. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2014

Bottom Line:
I have to laugh at myself now that I have a wonderful pair of the Yamaha NS-1000m. I have loved music and audio all of my life, but I didn't jump into higher end audio until 5 years ago. I have had numerous 'high-end' speakers of well known companies. I also put together some very nice pieces of electronics.

The problem is that I was bored with what I was hearing. I no longer enjoyed listening to my music very much. While a piece of my system was in the repair shop, I had to listen to Pandora on my laptop. I have always truly marveled at the sound the 2 inch speakers produced. It is so ultimately clear and precise. After listening to my laptop for a couple of weeks a memory of reading about the classic Yamaha NS-1000ms popped into my mind. I had read about them out of interest, sparked by talking with a fellow who I had sold my Marantz SA-11S2 to on Audiogon. He had these, and I was reading about everything in higher end audio at that time.

As this inspiration popped into my mind, I went onto Ebay and very fortunately found a pair for sale for $900. I purchased them. As anyone who into higher end audio realizes, $900 is not a big investment. I was simply curious, and hoping they would be fun. Oh my god, this is now they Best $900 I have ever spent. The sound is truly as wonderful as the many other reviews on here, and elsewhere, have stated. I am in love, and this true love, and not in some passing infatuation sort of way. I truly am having 'real' fun listening to my music.

Those albums that I had decided were just so sounded so 'bad' previously, actually come alive with the NS-1000m. I used to sit and listen to my system, with the many other speakers I tried, and wonder why I could not get into them. I had wished to hear more detail of the instruments so that it would sound much more real to me. I sat down last night and listened to a live album by James Taylor, that I distinctly recall going through this very process with 3 years ago. Oh, my, god. What a pleasure. I now could do what I read other supposedly experience. I could hear, and feel, the music with total clarity. Words just suck when trying to convey this sort of thing, so I will stop there.

For me, I am so grateful that Yamaha had the drive to create such a wonderful product. And to think, these speakers were made when I was in college, 35 years ago. Such a trip into good fortune is simply wonderful.

Submitted by rafulin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2014

Bottom Line:
I quit buying and building speakers when i heard these in 2007. In fact i quit buying new gear altogether. Now owning 4 pairs (1000's, M's, XW with one pair stationed at save distance in case the house burns down) safe to say these are my most treasured worldly possesions.

For the sheer magic of an 30+ old system, i love to partner it with my Micro, valves (+kcag). But they run happily on solid state Classé or Michi amps in different systems as well.

Everything's been said here, but my favourite ns-1000 traits:
- Unbelievable 3D stereo in a 3-way system - unheard.
- Kids proof. Carbon woofers (XW) and grills (M's).
- Build to last, no refoaming here.

You can buy this piece of art for under 15 euro a kilo. For this money, nothing comes close.

Do stay away from battered or cracked domes - some fools try to solder these beryllium domes.

Submitted by Sonny a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2013

Bottom Line:
Does anyone know anything about ns 1200 speakers I have recently purchased it

Submitted by Tim from down under a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2013

Bottom Line:
These are phenominal quality vintage speakers, and have a cult following all around the globe. The midrange drivers are true freaks.... Simply one the cleanest, and airiest midranges ever created. A true credit to the YAMAHA engineers of the era. They can still keep op with the best speakers of today, and surpass many. It really says something for vintage speakers of the golden era of hi fi. I also have the NS1200s which also sound phenominal, and are quite rare .I always have many speakers in my collection of different brands, but always keep a pair of YAMMIES for reference, to gauge other speakers to.
THESE ARE TRUE VINTAGE GEMS , AND YOU MUST OWN A PAIR AT SOME STAGE OF YOUR LIFE, IF YOU TRULY APPRECIATE GOOD SOUNDING SPEAKERS!!!