Yamaha NS A738
Description: - 8-inch woofer three-way bookshelf speaker system.<br>- Magnetically shielded so that it can be placed near a TV or video monitor and not degrade the picture quality.<br>- Handsome birch finish, modern look and blends with most room decor.<br>- New grille design and satin grille cloth provide an attractive and acoustically transparent protective cover the drivers.

Submitted by Lee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
These speakers are a great deal. I have had them for about 2 years now. In stock form, they are pretty good, but if you really want to hear them sing, a few simple upgrades are in order. The first thing I did was to replace the crappy internal wiring. It was really thin and pathetic. Replace it with whatever you are using for your regular speaker wire. I used monster cable and it made a huge difference. They have much more bass now.
The next thing I did was to line the inside of the speaker box with fiberglass insulation from lowes. It is really cheap and really tightens up the bass. Experement around to find the right amount. Too much will kill all your bass.
My most recent mod was to dampen the magnets and baskets. This is easy to do. Just find some sort of foam or insulation and use tape or rubber bands to fix it to the magnets on the back of the speakers. This makes a huge difference. They have lots more clarity now.
The next thing on my list is to replace the caps with better ones and to solder all the internal wires to get rid of the cheapo clips that are used. I'll probably add some nice 5 way binding posts while I'm at it.

Submitted by sigmazeta314 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I use these speakers as the surrounds for my system that has a high end sony reciever and large (15" woofer) front channel speakers. I have been very happy with them. I was looking for a surround speaker that could take a beating and these can. They have great bass response but I am even more delighted with the mid/high response. I have a friend who uses these as front channel speakers with his high end yamaha reciever and thsy sound great then too. The wood grain finish looks good for most decor... especially if you hate that black ash look that most speakers have. My only complaint is the lack of multi way binding posts so I can use banana plug terminals.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Chi Nguyen a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
great deal. nice design esp, front grills and finish. can compare to speakers in the 400-500+ range.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by gbsteve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2002

Bottom Line:
Overall, A good set of speakers. I originally bought them to replace speakers for an Aiwa mini-system. They did the job quite well. I recently bought a Sony DE545 and the receiver seemed to bring the speakers to a new level. I now have Klipsch SS5's for the rear and they compliment the Yamaha's well. If you're looking for a good speaker at a lower price, this is the way to go.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Rick V. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
For $58 a pair you can't go wrong. 6th Avenue must have a million of these because they are always advertising them. They really sound pretty good. I think you would have to spend as much as $200 to get a significant increase in sound quality. I use a Yamaha Sub with them along with a 60 watt/channel Yamaha AV receiver in a medium size room and we are very happy with the sound for both music and movies. We never have the volume up more than a third or the walls start shaking.

Purchased At:   6th Ave.