Wilson Audio MAXX Floorstanding Speakers

4.57/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $38000.00

Submitted by tapsa a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2005

Bottom Line:
Wilson is best speaker what i have own.All areas is top class.Very accurate, neutral ,fast.I have own many top class speakes like Audio Physic Kronos,Acapella Campanile, Martin Logan Monolith,Dunlavy 6, Duntech Soveregein, Oracle Helicon, Infinity Beta, Infinity 1 b,Magnepan Tympani, Ensemble Primadonna, Apogee Duetta, etc, i dont remember all, and listening hifishows many top speakers.. I use with Wilson Maxx 2 Audio Aero Prestige sacd, Audio Physic digitalmonoamp, Transparent ref mm cables and ref xl powercables and model 8 powerisolator.Because i want best.Now i understand why Wilson is so popular speaker reviews,engineering, studios, customers etc.

Submitted by dannyward4100 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2004

Bottom Line:
this is one hell of a speaker with very good stereo imaging and depth perception. i myself prefer the sonus faber stradivari which i found to be the best speaker i have ever heard regardless of price

Purchased At:   london

Submitted by tom a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
What the hell. If I had the room to put these speakers in what they deserve? They are the best big spearkers that I have heard.

Submitted by D C a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
Recently a buddy and I attended an open house for the relocation of a local high end dealer. When we arrived, we were greeted by a valet that parked my car in a parking spot that was 10 feet from where I handed him my key's. I know this is beside the point but this was part of my Wilson Experience. When we entered, the atmosphere was pleasant but somewhat different from what we were expecting. Alot of schmoozing and boozing. There was hardly any music playing!

We finally made our way to the "main" listening room and no one was in the sweet spot! I planted my fat behind and kicked back for a listen. They were playing some Harry Connick Jr. The first thing that I noticed was the the imaging was not very good. The sound eminated more from the left speaker and the room sounded bright. The sound was clear but a little harsh on the ear's. I was somewhat puzzled due the the associated equipment (Musical Fidelity Amps, Sony SACD, PS Audio Conditioning and Transparent Cables). I got the feeling that this speaker was being held back from it's true capabilities. This is probably due to the dealer not having enough time to tweek the setup. The speaker was massive and should've been voicing with dynamic and engaging sound. This review sound's a little harsh, but this is what I was hearing. My friend and I left the room and we barely spoke in the listening room. His comment's were the same as mine! I think that the room was not optimized. There was one set of sound panel's to the rear 2/3's of the room behind the listener.

I think that these are exceptionally well built speaker's and didn't have the setup they deserve. Maybe the turntable that was sitting idle may have been a better choice.

I went home that evening and turned on my Audio Research, Cal Audio,Pass, KEF LS3/5A, MIT cables etc.....

My face was sore from the dumb ^&* grin I had on my face
as I reflected my Wilson Experience.

Sorry but I really wanted to be impressed!!!!

Purchased At:   Krystal Klear Audio

Submitted by Glorp a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Bottom Line:
was in town for the big audio show at the hilton that turned out to be pretty good except for the madhouse atmosphere at the end of thae day. while in town, i visited the innovative audio showrooms and heard the wilson max in the classic rich bachelor pad setup, loads of equipment, all solid state, center channel, serving the best projection screen I have ever seen ever. first impression was yesir, the classic, supertight wilson feel, hyperprecise without a load of emotion, but still very impressive after its own fashion. I wondered if the fault was the wilson itself, or was it doing such a good job of truth telling about the strengths and limits of solid state amplification ? When i got over to the hilton i heard the latest work in solid state and in tube. first things first. Tube has come a LONG WAY in the last five years or so. New ballgame. The Joule tube amps, output transformerless with the big russian power tubes set a whole new standard for harmonic accuracy and musicality, mopped the floor with solid state in the tonality department. suspicions began to set in that the MAXX wasn't all that cold or uncaring, but wasn't getting the right diet to flourish with empty solid state calories. before you judge the MAXX, see if you can possibly hear it with with a great contemporary tube amp. You may discover a whole new world out there you didn't know existed.