Wharfedale Modus Movies 7 Floorstanding Speakers

4.45/5 (11 Reviews) MSRP : $670.00

6 piece Subwoofer/sattelite speaker system

Submitted by David a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2002

Bottom Line:
This system is the best that I have ever heard for the price. They even rival speakers that I have owned that were over $2K, like my Dalquest. Who would not be skeptical of a spending less than $200 for a satellite system and having it be of quality, but these are definately sound high end. They blow away the Bose, Infinity, and Polk satellites systems that I have heard. If you have seperate amplifiers, it will greatly enhance the sound quality. A seperate adjustable amplifier running to the Sub and then to the front satellites makes the sub sound much better. The bottom line is these are an incredible purchase!

Submitted by Jason a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Skrew the rest Wharfedale is the best. Do not buy directly go to ubid. I just paid less for the upgraded model than i did for the set i bought last year. They are way underrated. Do not waste your money on a name buy any of the wharfedale speakers and you will be happy.
PS
If you keep your eyes open you can too have the hottest speakers in the world. Ubid is hard to get in touch with but to wait on hold for a hour to save 1000 dollars is worth it if you ask me. Any time they sent a bad product they sent the return authorization quick.

Submitted by john a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Overall, this system performed above my expectations. Earlier reviewers complained about the pasive sub, and so do I, but if you have a powered sub, it can work to your advantage. I'm using both my powered sub and the wharf passive sub (bi-wired) in my setup. I too don't like the fact that have no control over the crossover, but after testing it out, it sounds solid. Since I've always used towers, I couldn't get used to using small fronts. I've crossed over my powered sub to 75 becasue it seems as if the passive sub has a difficult time picking up anything below 60. It sounds solid... not amazing, but very strong considering its price.

The connectors are junk... not question about it. What was Wharf thinking? you have to flat wires if you have anything higher that 16 gauge. Otherwise, I give it a 4.5, so I'll round up.

BTW-Don't waste your money buying a Bose system. I've listened to them extensively, and they are just about the most over-rated system out there.

Submitted by Tomi Lonka a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
My composition is aa exceptional from the original Modus Movies 7-package:
Since it is important to to have 5 identical speakers in a home theater, I decided to do so and purchased a set of five Modus Micros series 2, with pmp-handling of 100W.
Because of the small size of the speakers, the bass is minimal, and the speakers can play barely 100 Hz. Since I'm going to get an active subwoofer in the near future, this is not a problem. I live in a small flat (28 sqm), a powered sub would be a torture to my neighbours.
So far I have been very pleased with this kind of assembly, and highly recommend to people who are starting their hometheater, to purchase a similar set!
Since dd/dts have all channels discrete, should the speakers also be identical. This is my humble opinion, but try it for yourself. Cause the Micros are inexpensive, there is money left to purchase a decent powered sub to create a solid ground for good home cinema experience. For this price it's a good deal. And if you want to move on to bigger speakers in the future, you can always use these in other places.
As an A/V-amplifier I use Sony Str-DB840 QS.

Purchased At:   Hämeentien Radio, Helsinki

Submitted by Joshua Harris a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Bottom Line:
OK...I think I have broke them in. They sound great. If you are looking for a start for your HT...look no further...great value. I finally got my optical cable so my DTS and 5.1 now sound excellent!!!

Jurassic park was my first test with 5.1 surround and I could hear the screams of the raptors....the ground pounding with every step of the T-Rex.

SHOWING TONIGHT: U-571