Von Schweikert Research VR 4.5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.75/5 (4 Reviews) MSRP : $5950.00

Submitted by cbb a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got the VR4/5 upgrade (not the 4.5, that's different); send VSR $$ and a pair of VR4's, and they do wonderous things to them. This spot is the closest I could find to the 4/5 upgrade, so here I am! The upgrade is incredible, and takes some darn good speakers and makes them amazing. I absolutely love these things; if you get a chance to pick up a pair of used VR4s, do so and send them to Von Schweikert for the upgrade. Wow!!

Purchased At:   VSR

Submitted by john fairchild a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: October 24, 1999

Bottom Line:
having owned the vr4s(which are
excellent)and moving up to the 4.5s,is
like going from a good wine to a
crystal champagne.eveything the 4s did
the 4.5s a little better which adds
up to a big difference.speaker
placement is critical,and if you do
not have a large room you cannot give
these speakers
justice.soundstage,imaging is
superb.you will not need a sub with
these speakers as they have plenty of
bass.i have listened to a good deal of
speakers(some costing a good deal
more)and the von schweikert 4.5s can
give many high end speaker companies a
run for their money.if you can find a
pair(von schweikert is out of
bussiness) grab them.replacement parts
are available through a company in the
midwest.

Submitted by Ryan a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
The 4.5's are a very pleasing loudspeaker to listen to. Their smooth sound provides little fatigue, but during critical listening, they are a little warm and colored. Their Eton woofers seem accurate, but also seem to lack the delicate nuances of certain instruments/music. Overall, I was impressed with their sound quality, exceeding (at least to me) others like B&W 801's, Theil CS6, and Wilson Watt/Puppy. The Schweikert's did not have the resolution of the best I've heard, but were the easiest to listen to and enjoy music with.I don't like the non-removable grills with the upper enclosure, and the finishing quality could be better, but I like to focus on the speakers actual sound quality.

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Rory Stark a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1997

Bottom Line:
I got these because they sounded magnificent on the wide variety of music I listen to. They are stunning on string quartets, powerful on symphonies, sweet on female voices, and play hard rock LOUD. Soundstaging excellent, without a pinpoint sweet spot. I upgraded from VR4s and found the 4.5s very worthwhile. I knew they cabinetry would look better, and the mid-bass weakness (esp. on rock) of the VR4 was fully addressed, but did not expect the improvement in midrange. They do need to break in for a while, and are somewhat sensitive to positioning -- these speakers do not belong in a small room or one where they have to be up against the walls. I'm driving them with an Adcom 5800 with no problems. I had a midrange blow after a couple weeks and the company was very responsive, getting me back up to 100% in a few days. After being a little unsatisfied with the VR4s, I am totally and completely satisfied with the 4.5.

Anyone heard these Von Schweikert VR 4.5?

There's a pair on ebay that look tempting. [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5862933381&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1[/url]Read More »