Vandersteen 2Ce Signature Floorstanding Speakers

4.78/5 (49 Reviews) MSRP : $1495.00

Submitted by William Stevenson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2012

Bottom Line:
My only complaint with these speakers is that they're somewhat inefficient (though I still had great results with a Audio Refinement 50 wpc integrated) and you can't take them up to ear splitting levels and the bass can be a little tubby but otherwise they're amazing for the money and in the used market for around 500 dollars I don't know of any other speakers which come close. For vocals and midrange they have amazing presence and they tend to be forgiving of your amplification which is a roundabout way of saying they roll off the high frequencies some but for me not in a way where you feel anything is missing. Richard Vandersteen is one of the Gods of audio because of these speakers and if you have a chance give them a listen.

Submitted by M. J. Waterman a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2010

Bottom Line:
There's not a lot I can add to previous reviews on Vandersteens. I posted a couple of reviews on Vandersteen 2 Cis in the 2Ce section, and I still think for the money they are the best speaker you can buy period. For the money nothing comes close. For twice or three times the money I haven't heard any speakers that match their performance in presenting a warm emotionally involving nuanced balanced presentation that you can listen to for hours and never suffer ear fatigue. Again I go back to the key word for me which is balanced. I'm writing this review because a previous reviewer had said he had 2Cis, and had not upgraded his speakers, he had upgraded his source material. I think he said he bought a Creek CD player, and that it was a revelation. To a point I agree, as I had a similar experience when I upgraded my Kyocera Cd player. But better upstream components will ALWAYS make your speakers sound better, that's a given.
That said, I upgraded from 2Cis to 2Ces to 2Ce Signatures. In between I also had 3s and 3As.This was always with the same components upstream, so I think it was a pretty valid comparison. I'm in love with my 2Ce Signatures. I sometimes miss the larger presentation the 3As had, but I think the 2Ce Sigs are a little tighter and faster in the upper bass, and have a little better separation and definition in the mids and highs. My friend Jay and I also think the 3As were a little vaguer than the 2Ce Sigs. But I'm nitpicking, the 3As were wonderful also. In any event, if you have 2Cis or 2Ces and have the chance to upgrade to 2Ce Signatures DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It'll be the best $200 to $400 you ever spent. I was always a little disappointed in the 2Ces I upgraded to from my 2Cis. While the 2Ces had more detail than the the 2Cis, they didn't have the emotional connection the Cis had, and they were a little too bright. In the meantime I had heard the new 2Ce Signature IIs at Brooks Berdan, and was knocked out by them. What a killer speaker. So when I saw some 2Ce Sigs for sale I went and listened, and was immediately sold. The warmth was back, the brightness was gone, and everything else was improved. Better imaging and separation, more open, better detail in the mids and highs. And sometimes when I'm playing them and not listening they grab me and I find myself saying "Man, I can't believe how good these sound. I can't believe I bought a pair of speakers that sound this good for $650." Sure, I would love to have the new 2Ce Sig IIs. And I'd love even more to have a set of 3A Sigs, and will buy a pair when i get the money. But if I don't I am so satisfied with these 2Ce Sigs. I never feel they're lacking something or that I need something better. Man they are just so sweet. So if you have some other model of 2s and have a chance to buy 2Ce Sigs do it. It'll be the cheapest best upgrade you'll ever make.

Submitted by benita a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2009

Bottom Line:
If possible, and if time permits, I'd like to thread 4 yellow rubberrings around my husbands erect manhood and walk naked through the streets of an high-income neighbourhood. In summer of course, or else the rubberrings might fall off.

Submitted by Discriminator a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2006

Bottom Line:
Purchased Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures new in 2005 to replace a pair of aging Snell Type E/III’s from 1988. The Vandersteens are in an entirely different and better league than the Snells, which were not bad at time of purchase (made Stereophile Class B, for instance). The appearance is not flashy but in the end they are easy enough to ignore as one’s attention is commanded by the music.

The 2Ce Signatures take a little fussing over and getting used to. I spent hours shuffling them around to get the best imaging. Even moving them a couple of inches can have a profound effect given the lack of a speaker cabinet. Then there’s loading the stands and leaning them back just right. In the end they can sound open, spacious, and very honest. Adding lead shot to the utilitarian speaker stands helped to tighten up and stabilize the image. The bass goes deep but tends to lack a little punch in my opinion compared to a standard enclosed bass reflex speaker system. In the end the thing that’s designed more like a drum tends to sound a little more like a drum. This perception could be due to shortcomings of my source (HHb Pro CD Burner c. 1998). The flipside of that is that ears accustomed to Vandersteen sound will readily perceive that after Vandersteen, virtually everything but electrostatics sounds like it’s coming out of a box – because it is! The Vandersteen sound is tonally balanced, inviting and lifelike. Female vocals, piano, upright bass and other standard references sound convincing. The sound is relaxed but detailed, precise (time and phase aligned), and well-paced enough to be exciting. My wife commented that the sound or performance just seems to be in the room rather than coming out of cabinets.

I repeat previous warnings – these speakers are likely to significantly exceed your expectations at the price point and may cause you to spend thousands upgrading everything else in your system. I had been happy with my previous system for over a decade but in the 10 months since purchasing the Vandersteens I’ve replaced my amp and preamp twice, upgraded all of my interconnects and cables, and added a Vandersteen subwoofer for good measure. Every change I’ve made has unveiled new glory from the 2Ce Signatures and I have every reason to believe that they could sound even better. I’ll have a new CD player on order by the end of the year, perhaps an Underwood HiFi mod.

Since I’ve tried a few amps with these speakers I can comment that the BEL 1001 MkV sounds excellent with a PSE HL-1 hybrid line stage. It seems to take control and bring out the bass and micro-dynamics without anything seeming exaggerated. I tried Odyssey gear and did not feel that was a good combination – sounded thin to my ear, as did an Acurus DIA-100 passive preamp integrated. If you end up with the BEL amp by all means get the BEL P-1 interconnects and S-24 speaker cables. They are reasonably affordable and the speaker cables work very well with the BEL amp. The BEL P-1 interconnects are better than LAT and others I’ve tried. I notice the biggest improvement in the bass.

Ah, the bass. I don’t want to seem obsessed but in my experience bass is one thing that few systems do very well. So despite the 2Ce Signatures’ valiant attempt at being a full range speaker I found a good deal on a used Vandersteen 2Wq subwoofer and hooked it in with BEL S-24 cables and custom crossover filters. Now I have deeper, punchier bass and perhaps even sweeter midrange. I fancy that my 50-Watt BEL amp is working a little less hard. Most importantly I no longer feel like something is missing (except perhaps another 2Wq for stereo subwoofers - oh, and maybe a nice turntable setup).

Purchased At:   Tailored Technology

Submitted by Ed Huber4339 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2004

Bottom Line:
I Upgraded from the 2 to the latest 2ce Signature. These speakers are better than most electronics. They reveal the solid-as-a-rock, deep& wide soundstage of 24/96 audio. Instruments have a lot of space and air around them. The midrange is the biggest improvement--or is it the treble over my old 2s. anyway the improvement goes further than using the midrange and treble drivers from the 3A a new crossover is used to match the drivers. The treble is the smoothest, most extended yet with dynamic transients. Of course the bass is very low in distortion and even deeper.

Purchased At:   Esoteric Audio

Vandy 2ce signature

I am thinking of upgrading my Klipshe RF-7 to Vandersteens 2ce signatures I will be driving them with 130 w/channel Musical Fidelity, I listen to mostly rock, any input would be helpfulRead More »

Vandersteen 2ce Signature, I don't get it!

Just got a used pair, excellent condition. But here goes, These are in my 24 year audio experience the worst speakers I've ever owned. I hear bass, treble, no midrange presence. Midrange suckout galore. I hear a smoothness I guess, but lacking transparency, inner detail, slow, veiled. Everything ups ... Read More »