Vandersteen 1B Floorstanding Speakers

4.42/5 (31 Reviews) MSRP : $650.00

8-in woofer, 1-in tweeter

Submitted by abcxyz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
I agree with the other reviews. These are simply the best speakers for the money and match extremely well with Arcam A65+/ with built-in phonostage. You can also tune in the treble as needed on each speaker. Their tweeters are a silk dome not metal but very smooth yet detailed. Their 90dB efficiency is perfect for a smooth 40 wpc ss amp or even better with 30 watt class A ASL 1003DT tube integrated. After trying different entry level cables, Tara labs, Kimber, etc, I got the best response with the AQ Type 4 (no smearing, great highs and lows, clear mids). Finally, I got the best acoustics when I placed them on the long wall and shorter distance to the sweetspot, YMMV. Just a little effort like this, synergy, placement, and a good pair of solid core copper cables, gets me the most out of this speaker. With the midrange of the Arcam and the bass extension of the Vandersteens, playing records on a simple AT PL-50 turntable, reproduces a near life-like sound. These will be my mains forever!

Submitted by wpm a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2008

Bottom Line:
I was about to give up on floor standing loudspeakers, because they simply did not interact in my 13’ X 15’ room the way I wanted them to. Having gone through numerous speakers of varying quality, from Magnepan MG-12's to JBL L80S, I found none of them truly impressed me; at least in the way I felt content to keep them indefinitely.

Oh, sure, the MG-12’s imaged like crazy, but they did not offer the bass I wanted or expected. The JBL’s, while having great bass, could, at times, make your ears bleed with their titanium tweeters. That, and the 80s “loud and clear” technology really showed its colors. And all the others in-between, well, they were just variations of the two.

Then I went to a friends house one day and heard a pair of Vandersteen 1B's. In his house, hooked up to a vintage Pioneer Spec 4 system, they sounded smooth, rich, and detailed. I was immediately impressed. To make a long story short, I purchased the speakers (thanks, Dave).

I won’t spend a lot of time waxing over audiophile terms except to say that in my home, hooked up to my Quicksilver Audio system, the 1B’s sound absolutely stunning. I have never heard such richness, transparency, and vibrancy. Music just seems to come alive through the 1B’s. They have the transparency of the MG-12’s with the bass of the JBL’s. Seriously. These unassuming speakers put out a surprising amount of bass. The whole soundstage gels, whereas before it sounded detached and, for lack of a better word, incomplete.

So, if like me you have big speaker aspirations, but your room and, indeed, your budget is better suited to stand mount designs, get yourself a pair of Vandersteen 1B’s ( or 1’s or 1C’s). They just may be your ticket. Highly recommended!

Purchased At:   From a friend

Submitted by DMA a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned the 1Bs for nearly 10 years. They have been my workhorse speaker. They have survived 5 different moves, been knocked over several times by my dogs and still look and sound like new. Will probably have them another 10 years.

Purchased At:   Listen Up

Submitted by Bart a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Nothing better for the money. Have had them for 11 years and like them as much as when I bought them. A great investment, haven't even had the itch to "upgrade" them.

Purchased At:   Audio Advice Raleigh

Submitted by Miguel_pt a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
I really don't understand why people complain about these speakers bass when they use it with lousy amps!
These are made to sound fabulous when partnered to a DECENT amp, and when properly positioned in the room.
I've had a pair for more than 10 years, and I'm quite addicted to them. Bass has an extension very difficult to find in speakers of these range, and they play organ well, which is quite rare!!
Besides that, the absence of boxyness and coloration of the midrange is something quite addictive when you get used to it, and after you're used to these you'll have lots of difficulty finding speakers you like!
As for home theather, I'm presently using them for it, together with a pair of mirage rear effects and a center from sonus faber, and a Rel storm3 sub - all the equivalent from vandersteen was far too expensive here to be considered.
I drive them now with mono amps from cyrus that can deliver very high peaks, and the sound in stereo is still fabulous...
You do need a good amp to grab them, and lots of care when positioning in the room, but when you get it, the sound is amazing...

Purchased At:   Digisom

Infinity IRS 1B

Hello I am interested to buy Infinity IRS 1B, but need anyone to exchange experience. Are there any owner out there? JensRead More »