VAF Research Signature I-66 Floorstanding Speakers

floorstanding loudspeaker 4 drivers with front-firing port.

Submitted by Dorian Turner a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2004

Bottom Line:
The VAF I-66 & I-91 surround system represents the best value for money speakers in Australia & I would suspect in the world! ......Bold statement but I swear the truth. These speakers at times completely blow me away with the stark reality of sound stage they produce they are so absorbing that time passes very easily. They simply allow you to be imersed in the sound and do not distract you from enjoying the music or the virtuality of a movie.I have owned top of the range speakers from Britain and USA over my 33 years of serious interest (obsession) in audio fidelity and can say without hesitation that these are the best speakers I have ever owned. Purchasing direct from the manufacturer has also saved me a small fortune too. (VAF only deal direct with customers)
I don't care what the brand it is you are listening to (at even twice price I paid) these VAF Signatures will prove to be easily at least their equal in performance. They do require the best cabling you can afford don't skimp on this very important aspect Audiquest Bedrock bi-wired is a superb option as a minimum.

Purchased At:   VAF Research

Submitted by Al a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
This is about the best conventional cone speaker I've heard. The mid coherence is so good and fast that it is close to an electrostatic. Images really lock in their appropriate positions and lifelike with lots of depth. The secret seems to be in the expensive Seas magnesium mid drivers. The weaknesses above are very minor and do not really detract from the speaker but instead are referred in absolute perfection/ideal terms.

The sound is generally described as detailed, highly coherent, analytical, but slightly leaner in bass character. They come in beautical cabinets, have time aligned drivers and are constructed extremely well.

For the price either as kit or assembled (US $2000 - 3000) there are no speakers approaching them within 2-3 times the price.

Visit the VAF website or their showroom in Adelaide, Australia.

Submitted by Mike Edwards a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 17, 1999

Bottom Line:
The first thing I noticed about these speakers (apart from their tremendous finish) was their weight - a whopping 60kg's each! The signature I-66 is a large floorstanding, four driver, three-way. It is solidly constructed with some of the best materials in the world and it looks like a lot of thought has gone into the design of them.
Listening to the Signature I-66's was a pleasure! For starters, the bass extended very deep and was very fast and tight, the mid-range was audibly flat and the high-frequency performance just made the room come to life. These speakers are without audible flaw, they produce simply what is in your source and nothing more and they sounded very sweet being driven by a Marantz CD-17 KI Signature and Marantz PM-17 KI Signature amplifier. These speakers were so good that I could almost swear I could read the mood of every performer!

Also, if you are a handy-man you can build them yourself as VAF supply them in kit form! What more could you want from a loudspeaker?