Usher X-929 Floorstanding Speakers

• Crossover frequencies:2kHz
  • Dimensions(wxdxh):28.5cmx39cmx117cm

Submitted by soundaesthete a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2005

Bottom Line:
When my wife told me my huge Dunlavy speakers had to go, I was afraid I'd never find anything smaller that would offer their balance of detail and dynamics. Then, after reading glowing reviews of the smaller Usher X series speakers, I listened to a pair of X-929s at my local dealer, and quickly snapped them up. These speakers represent the tremendous value that overseas production offers. The gorgeous cabinets are very heavy, inert and finished in a gleaming piano finish with luscious wood side trim. And the parts quality is first rate, with world-class drivers manufactured by Usher to specs prepared by Joseph D'appolito, a legendary speaker designer who now consults with some of the foremost speaker companies on the planet. Bottom line, from an aesthetic, construction and design standpoint speakers like these, if they came from a European or American manufacturer, (such as Sonus Faber, whose speakers these closely resemble) they would run in excess of $5000. Now the best part. These speakers sound absolutely terrific, with both solid state and tube amplification. What I listen for most in a speaker is balance from top to bottom, dynamics and detail. These speakers offer it all, providing a level of musical reality that is startling. Most compelling of all is the midrange, which is highly detailed, rich and melodic. Voices, acoustic guitars etc. have never sounded more present in my listening room, more tactile and rich in overtones. As you can probably guess by now, I heartily recommend these Usher speakers as one of audio's great values. At their price, you simply can not go wrong with these beauties. My one note of caution...odds are you're going to want to upgrade your electronics, as these speakers deserve the very best!

Price Paid:    $1900.00