unknown Synthesis LM260 Floorstanding Speakers

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Synthesis is a subsidiary of Conrad Johnson. The Synthesis LM 260 is a 2 way, bass reflex system with a 1 inch dome tweeter and 8 inch polymer cone woofer. Bass response goes down to 42 hz. Cabinet measurements are 12" wide, 11" deep, 39.5" high.The LM 260 was in production the late 80's to early 90's.

Submitted by peter henderson a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2012

Bottom Line:
I used to hear these at a local audio salon but couldn't afford them.I did spend a fair amount of time auditioning them at the shop, driven by c-j tube electronics. Later I was able to buy a used pair of their little brothers, the LM-210. Being made by c-j you would expect audiophile virtues and you get them: the sound is smooth and detailed, with excellent imaging. The smaller 210 has a more dynamic sound, like a sports cart that begs to be driven fast, while the larger speaker is not quite as dynamic but a bit weightier, owing to additional output in the midbass. There are two interesting characteristics to the speakers. Firstly, the sound changes character dramatically when used with a c-j tube amp (or perhaps any similar tube amp.) With c-j tubes the sound is extremely sweet and liquid and devoid of the slightest harshness. With solid state the speakers are still enjoyable on rock music: I disagree with the other reviewer and regard the 210 at least as an excellent rock speaker so long as it is not over-driven. Second, the 260 had the most precise imaging I have ever heard, bar none. The 210 has more image depth, but less precision. The 260 also benefits from very tight mid-bass at the cost of a lack of deep bass. The design was changed to extend the lows. The resulting model was called the 260i, and was an excellent full-range speaker. I don't know if there was any trade-off involved, but I found both models to be enjoyable, each in its own way. I am hoping to pick up a pair of either of these on the used market -- regrettably I sold my 210s when I moved, having no room for all my audio gear.

Submitted by Meow Tomcat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
Synthesis is a subsidiary of Conrad Johnson. I've had these speakers over 20 years. The LM 260 is a 2 way floor standing speaker in a beautiful veneer cabinet with a Bessel crossover giving exceptional phase linearity. The small brother to the Synthesis LM 260 was the LM 210 which was reviewed in the December, 1988 Stereo Review Magazine. The primary quality of the sound is exceptional spaciousness, wide dynamic range and smooth articulate sound. Voices are open and suspended in space. Opera is terrific, rock music is not.

My efforts with a solid state 60 watt/channel basic power amp could never make the bass bloom, and the grip on the music is a bit soft. The Conrad Johnson company told me these speakers were designed with a low powered Conrad Johnson tube power amplifier driving them. I don't have one of those, so the LM260 might be a lot better than I've experienced.