Triangle Electroacoustique Zephyr II Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by Rheal a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
After reading an article in stereophile by Sam Tellig, I when to stereopassion to listen to them, I bought a pair, My current system his a Quad 405-2 and 34, The sound his pure music, they image like crasy, good bass not very deep but clean and fast

Purchased At:   Stereopassion, Ont

Submitted by Gene a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are quick, lively, and highly-detailed speakers. Enjoyable to listen to, but they are not for everyone. In my system they sounded bright. They are tube friendly so try to get some tubes in your system if possible.

The bass was deep on organ music, but seemed to lack any bloom and thump on rock and pop music. This improved somehwat during the long break-in period, but depending on your preference, if may not be sufficient. Great for classical music.

Audio Waves is a super place to buy equipment, Alan is very knowledgable and provide excellent service.

Purchased At:   Audio Waves

Submitted by John a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2000

Bottom Line:
I just got the Zephyr xs (newest version) a few days ago, and I haven't been able to pull myself away from my system! I was afraid they would sound terrible out of the box based on what I have read about them. Believe it or not, they sounded pretty good. I immediately noticed how fast they were, and the bass response really surprised me. The only coloration I heard was a sort of forward "hootiness" in the upper midrange that seems to be slowly going away as the speaker breaks in (I hear this can take some time). The treble is not at all overextended, at least with my amplification (a Cary Audio slp-70 preamp and a Bedini 801 class A solid state amplifier; both of these are a bit on the warm side). There is also a rightness with the midrange that causes voices and piano to sound more natural than any other speaker I have heard (with the one temporary caveat I mentioned above...). But again, it was the bass that shocked me, and it only seems to get better with time. I don't notice anything missing from the majority of my cd's or lp's, but what I do get is an amazing tightness and control on the bottom end. It's really fast, especially noticeable with plucked strings, both acoustic and electric. This is an area where many speakers I have heard tend to get muddled while trying to deliver the goods. Not the Zephyr! I can't wait to hear what these things can do once the break-in period is complete. I also intend to buy a tube amplifier to use with these speakers, though I love the control and power offered by the solid state Bedini. Oh yes, the speakers also image tremendously; it's easy to close one's eyes and get lost in the precision of the lateral soundstage. Maybe some of the best minimonitors do it better, but these are just fine for me. One more thing: these Zephyrs are frighteningly transparent. On my system, I can really tell the difference between poor recordings and very good ones. I assume that the same is true with upstream equipment. As the saying goes, "Garbage in, garbage out." So watch out. I don't have a lot of firsthand experience with "megabuck" speakers, but I just can't understand how Triangle can build a product this good that I can buy for less than $1000. But I'm glad they do! I'm sure that if you want to spend a ton of money, you can get better sound, so I'll give the Zephyr overall 4 stars (I'm being really conservative here!). In terms of value, a definite 5 stars!