Triangle Comete Floorstanding Speakers

4.92/5 (13 Reviews) MSRP : $750.00

Submitted by LAURENT a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2008

Bottom Line:
I received my Triangle Comete Ex as a Christmas gift. It is always better to choose one's speakers but I didn't. With my old amp et old cables they didn't sound great. I decided to change my amp et also my cables. I chose a Denon amp relatively neutral and a cable (Van del Hull) which is rather smooth. The result is really great. So these speakers can be great or disappointing depending on the associated equipment. They are high quality speakers with good dynamics and details without being agressive or tiring. They reveal the strenghs and weaknesses of your electronics.
I strongly recommend them.
Laurent

Product model year:   2007

Purchased At:   HIFISSIMO

Submitted by kuyajep a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
I have the 25th anniversary model. I agree with all the positive things that have already been said by others. I have them set up in a small room, listening nearfield. The bass is absolutely superb down to the lower limits of the system. I would like to say also, that the speakers benefit from and deserve to be mated to high quality electronics. I'm using Pass Labs (solid state) and Cary Audio (tube) electronics. I've received e-mails from other owners of the 25th anniversaries, one in particular, saying that after 50 yrs in this hobby that these are the best speakers he's ever owned!

Purchased At:   SF California

Submitted by sesquipedalio a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2007

Bottom Line:
I decided to purchase Triangle Comete speakers (they are bookshelf, not floorstanders by the way) without hearing any Triangle equipment - only from the reviews and figured that if they did not fit me, I could resell. OMFG - I would buy any Triangle speaker from now on and would recommend to others to try them out. Very nice soundstage, clean across the spectrum and muscally engaging. They can be pushed to very loud (beyond comfortable andinto painful) listening levels with almost none or no distortion. Being bookshelf, they do not do bass great, but pair with a nice sub and WOW. I have a Musical Fidelity X-150 integrated and X-Ray CD to the Cometes and a Velodyne SPL-R 8 sub. This is a physically small system but competes with my Bryston/Thiel 2.3 in musicality. Really, Traingle is a very nice way to go, especially if you like jazz, blues, classical and rock. Outstanding. I also hear they are more wonderful with tubes.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Gerhard Volkmar a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2007

Bottom Line:
Triangle Comete ES - Anniversary
I have heart it with a Pathos Classic One III and Rega Apollo and Nordost Cable. TOP!l Now I want to buy it. On my list is also the Unison S-2-K. Maybe to little power? Please give me a good choice for Turntable, Phonopre and CD-Player. Please contact: volkmar01@gmx.de. Thank you,

Purchased At:   Internet

Submitted by Max Wickham a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2007

Bottom Line:
These are the 25th ann. model, so price is high, and finish is gloss walnut, but that is not the real story. These are the most musical speakers in my experience, and have owned many of the best .....B&W, Thiel, Maggies, older Celestions, Apogees and many others. Prices of prev. speakers ran to 6000. Having said that, they are not everyman's speaker, but they happen to suit my tastes perfectly. They have delicate detail at low volume that lets you hear exactly what the music is saying. Lovely vocals, and true inst. sounds also. Not the sort of speaker where you say....WOW those are great speakers, they are not impressive in that way, they don't knock your socks off. They would be more likely to make you remark...
." what a beautiful sax or vocal". They are true to the music and the subtle details that escape most speakers. Not at their best playing loud, and would not be the choice for hard rock. But feed them a well recorded string quartet, or classical guitar or jazz group and they are wonderful. Have many 33 rpm records going back decades, which I have owned for decades too. Heard them on multitudes of speakers, and for the most part these Triangles are able to extract the music and make even older mono recordings enjoyable....I keep hearing things I never knew were on the records. Do full justice to modern well recorded CDs too. As to prev. comments re the bass....what I hear is a bass that does nothing wrong, but it is somewhat lightweight, in fact the speaker itself is voiced in that direction, they are not about weight and impact, but they ARE amazingly quick and agile. They need exellent quality amp, but not high power. Using the Creek 5350SE amp, and it's 85 w/ch is plenty in my small room. Added a small Velodyne sub to fill the low bass. I am just so pleased with them!

Purchased At:   Audiowaves