Totem Acoustic Rokk Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $895.00

Borosilicate damping vertical crossbrace, twin pair gold-plated terminals, no-compromise drivers, wiring and crossover

Submitted by roulade r a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
These are excellent speakers for the price and have given me a peek into high-end audio. I will definitely upgrade through the totem line-- I'm sold on the company from my experience with these speakers.

I don't have a very expensive system-- parasound power amp and NAD CD player through audioquest granite single bi-wire into the totems. However, the low end on the Rokks is incredibly taut and musical-- none of the boomy overemphasized bass I was used to from cheap infinity bookshelf speakers. The high end is very natural yet detailed at the same time. In particular, tambourine and drum kit cymbals are rendered especially well-- the transients aren't hyper etched, even with the solid state gear I use. Voices are reproduced very well, and I can get a little insight into what was happening in the vocal booth when the recording was made.

The speakers' strongest point is their ability to disappear and throw a very deep soundstage. As someone below mentioned, the soundstage isn't especially wide. I spent an afternoon listening to some expensive audio physic floorstanders through much better source equipment and electronics than mine and when I came home I was able to see the Rokks' shortcomings in the high end, yet as far as soundstaging goes, the Rokks were right there with the 8x more expensive speakers. If you can get the speakers well away from the back and side walls, the voices, bass and drums (on a rock recording) are smack against or even behind the rear wall, while solo instruments and percussion are more up front-- very good back to front layering. The center fill is incredible-- you can listen with the speakers toed in directly at you and stare right at the drivers and still not believe that the sound is coming from the speakers.

These are not perfect speakers, and I understand their drawbacks, but in my small listening room, and at the low price I found them for used, I just love them. I listen to a very wide variety of music, but most often to studio produced records of whatever genre. I can recommend these speakers for rock and jazz very stongly.

Purchased At:   used at EBay

Submitted by Adacat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
What a great speaker. Very involving. I am currently bi-amping with 4x85, and it sounds beautiful. You can find a few new pairs of these at a good price on the 'net.

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Alex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Had a good listening session with the Rokks. Very impressive soundstage ! The imaging was deep and quite wide. Voices were not so precise but very decent.

Very smooth mids and highs especially with piano and acoustic guitar.

Considering it's under 1K$, it is really a high value.

Submitted by charles a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2000

Bottom Line:
I use the Totem Rock as my front speaker in my appartement. I think the company made an error, you can't find speaker of this size(small) and and this price sounding so great. They made a perfect balance of detail hi and lo notes. The bas is precise and clear not as the jbl where you find a very too smooth and uncontroled base. Th Totem rock just fitt great with a small integrated amplifier like simms audio pw5000. This speaker has a sound equal to very more expensive speaker at 2500$. Listen to it, precise, the sound is there not disturbing your listening even at high output level.

Purchased At:   used equipment from friend

Submitted by Roy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2000

Bottom Line:
After five years now, I want to replace my Mission 735.
After a listing session with a lot of speakers I found out that I liked two speakers much more then the rest:
Totem Mite
Totem Rokk
I think that the more expensive Arro can't compete with these two.
I took the Rokk and the Mite with me home. After listing with a lot of different music I found out that the Rokk has "something" the Mite doesn't have. It is better in positioning and voices (e.g. Celine Dion). The bass of the Rokk is also slightly better. Of course the Mite is less expensive. If you have the money I would suggest to buy a Rokk. I cannot find anything better in this price range.