Thiel CS6 Floorstanding Speakers

4.75/5 (28 Reviews) MSRP : $7900.00

Submitted by Arthur K a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2015

Bottom Line:
Having been a devoted KEF fan, for a number of years, it would take a hell of of a speaker to make me part with my trusted Reference 3.2.

That is exactly what happened then, after I had an audition of the CS6..

I made the decission on the spot and it wasn't a hard one to make.

If I could use just one word to justify my decision, that would be accuracy.
The CS6 is one of the most accurate / neutral speakers that I have listened to for as long as I have been interested in audio, and that is a very long time indeed.

It will tell the story as it is, exactly 'warts and all', so don't expect any cover up of poorly recorded material. With good recordings though, it will reward you with such realism and scale that even many much more expemsive speakers, fail to deliver.

As someone else mentioned before me, they require massive quality amplification to give their best, the more power the better. In my case, two Bryston monoblocs at 500 w per side do the job just fine!

To sumise then, if accuracy, scale, dynamic contrast and a huge and deep soundstage is what you value, make sure you listen to these babies (...yeah, ..well, at almost 80 kg each..)

For me, these ARE for keeps.

Submitted by Alan a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2012

Bottom Line:
A little about myself I've worked in the Music Biz since 1974. And when evaluating any speaker, I'm going to listen to songs I've worked on. It's true the size of the room,equipment used & cables are all a big part of any true testing. But to any audiophile is to capture on a well recorded record or cd,is to be able to hear the musicans & vocalist right in your presence. And when you do close your eyes,they're right in front of you.The Thiel CS6 have that magic that brings you that close to the music. I must warn you that many recordings that are real bad recordings will sound bright or muddy.When Mr.Thiel designed the CS6'S, he wanted a Reference Speaker that would convey the differences to the end users. A few speakers I've owned and enjoyed using, where the Aerial's, Vandersteen, Egglestons & now Thiel's CS6's.

Submitted by BryantH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
First, I want to thank all of the fellow Audio Enthusiast who contribute to this forum. With your input, I was able to make some wise choices while assembling my system.

For the most part, you can understand a products weakness and strenghts from people who actually own the gear and get some insight from people who casually listened to the gear. I purchased my Thiel 6s new in December 2001 after owning a pair of Thiel 3.6's for 4 years and at first I though the Thiel 6's were only marginally better, but after a long break in period, all of that changed. These are very, and I do mean very accurate speakers, bass accurate, treble accurate, mid accurate (not the very very best mids I've heard, but accurate). I totally disagree with the previous review stating that these speakers have no bass. But I will agree that they do need more power than the average speaker to become the dymamic accurate, detailed, etc... vessels that they are. I'm powering mine with a Pass Labs X350 and I'm in love, my wife is in love, my friends are in love and everyone who's come by my house feel in love. My front end is a Sony SCD-1 that was Rich Kern's (Audiomod) personal Sony and it has every possible upgrade to it. I sit and listen for hours, mainly Jazz, Classical, blues and can't pull myself away.

Please, if your interested in these speakers, make sure the room, applification, front end and even cabling is good / very good. You will be "Amazed" along with Mrs "Grace".

This is my first review after reading everyone elses for last 4 years. I just had to comment after seeing the last review giving the Thiel 6's a 1 rating. Note, I'm a owner of this product and by no means well off financially. I paid the full price with my trade-in of my Thiel 3.6s and have not looked back.

These speakers just plain inspire me.

To all, enjoy the music............

Purchased At:   Ensemble NH

Submitted by oogie a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I've had the Thiels now for 8 months and have made changes to the room, amp & speaker wire. after getting everything where it should be the Thiels are everything they say they are. the Thiel CS6's are also a work of art. I'm currently driving them with the Macintosh MC352. The newest version in 350 watt per chanel. speaker wire is Audioquest copper.

Purchased At:   Superior sound

Submitted by Tim Johnson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
Am very pleased with these speakers. I listen to many types of music - primarily country and smooth jazz - no hard rock. Speakers perform very well for my tastes and the music I listen to.

I recently upgraded a Mark Levinson 334 amp to the 336, a Proceed CDP to a Mark Levinson 390s and all interconnects and speaker cable to Transparent Ultra. These upgrades made a DRAMATIC improvement in the performance of the speakers - other reviewers have indicated the need for a good front end for these speakers and I would agree completely. Biggest improvements were in soundstage, imaging and bass. The overall presentation is very detailed and fun to listen to. Can not get over the improvements in sound with the upgrades.

The Thiel MCS1 works well as a center channel with the CS6 speakers. They seem to be well matched with the MCS1 adding a lot to the surround experience (was using the Thiel SCS3 as a center before). The base and incredible detail to these speakers make movies a kick. Unfortunately I can only crank volume when my wife is not at home and that is when it is best for movies - (the size of the MCS1 as a center channel did not go over with her at all). I am using the Bryston SP1 as a preamp.

Overall I think these are great speakers and am glad that I have them. The speakers sounded very good using the ML 334 amp and Proceed CDP but now I know what I was missing with that set up in performance with these speakers. Would like to give the Thiel 7.2's a try but for now they are just too big for our house.

Purchased At:   Audio Consultants