Thiel CS3.5 Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (10 Reviews) MSRP : $2850.00

Coherent Source Loudspeaker

Submitted by joejnyc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is a review aimed at bargain-basement thrift-shop audiophiles such as myself. I spent an afternoon auditioning the Maggie 1.6 speakers and a pair of used Centaurus Slant Sixes in one of the (to the extent my ear's experience can tell) excellent listening rooms at the local hi-fi place. Two hours spinning everything from Shakti to Tribe Called Quest to Marriage of Figaro made me fall deeper and deeper in love with the planar sound. The drum kit that leapt off my Head Hunters LP and took form in front of me almost had me pulling out the plastic. I gave a listen to the used but clean Apogee Centaurus Slant Sixes- they did nothing for me after the maggies.

Buried behind everything else in the used/repair room were some beaten up Thiels. I asked about them- heard the sad history of their mistreatment at the hands of some Doctor's kids-- the grilles were shredded and the dustcaps were dented in, but the teak was still nice and the EQ still around. And the salesman said that they could go for $350.

In the listening room, they had a lot of the detail and evenness that I had been digging in the 1.6s and they blew away the slant sixes.

At home they have been placed in a challenging listening room, one almost in a corner and the other pretty much in font of an eight foot square opening into the kitchen. The imaging was not quite what it was in the store, but it still held together more than I expected. I think the wide dispersion of the treble makes them great for real-world less than perfect listening rooms like mine. I'm putting about 85 watts of Second-Hand Denon Integrated amplification through them, and mostly listen to my Technics SL 5200 (I like auto return). Even with my cheaper peripherals and amplification (we're talking an Aiwa CD player, folks) I don't find them too fatiguing. Sure they reveal limitations, but it doesn't get in the way of their other revelations-- evenly balanced and defined music that came through even with cheapo gear in my awkward listening room. And, if they've stood up to the almost criminal abuse that it seems like they've been though, the used ones you're probably looking at stand to have a good long life expectancy. I think they're a good choice if your hunting around for maybe your first pair of audiophile grade speakers. Sound best with classical, acoustic jazz, electrified jazz, reggae, rock, hip hop (in descending order)

Purchased At:   Take 5 Audio New Hav

Submitted by Ashkalafoozie Gorgonzola a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
The clearest, most defined sound field I've ever experienced. I've owned a lot of medium to high end speakers but these are the cream of the crop.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   from a private party

Submitted by johnniem15 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2004

Bottom Line:
I consider myself an upper middle class audio enthusiast that always tries to get a bang for the buck. As a professional entertainment journalist and author, music is a very important part of my life it being vynil, my favorite, or CD/DVD the medium of choice, the quality of sound is of utmost importance to me. When I had the opportunity of purchasing a pair of pristine CS 3.5 at Audiogon, I jumped at the opportunity and it has paid off. Thiels speakers carry a 10 year warranty, no questions asked, and it is nice to purchase an 8 year old speaker that is still under warranty. There is a reason why, the construction of this speakers is first class all the way. It is difficult for speakers this size to actually look good within the minimalistic standards of today, but the Thiels look like class and wont hurt your decor, a plus with the wife after the initial shock. The sound is where these speakers will win over your companion, my wife took a listen and our argument ended right there. She loved them!!! These are not speakers that you will be moving often, they weight in excess of 70 pounds, you better make sure that you set them right from the beginning. I found they work better away from the walls, but the changes are minimal, these speakers can actually be set up once and forget about them. Their strengh lies in the depth of the soundstage. You can actually pinpoint each instrument, and the conjunction of bass, treble and midrange is marked and never muffled. It makes for powerful and easy listening that is not overbearing, but actually quite soothing for such a large speaker. I spend a lot of my time listening to music in order to write reviews, these speakers are very critical and something that is not recorded properly will be exposed dramatically, as well as the overall flaws of your system. If you dont mind being critical, then these are for you. They would help you appreciate your investment in quality electronics, I am way over $25,000 already, and will expose what needs to be changed. The same in recordins, the great ones will shine, the bad ones you will only listen to once. Who could ask for anything more.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by teddy55124 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
These loudspeakers are very cosmetic appealing, and the design was obviously ahead of it's time. The first thing that jumps out at you is these speakers' ability to become invisible. that-is: they do not colour the music, and they immage wonderfully! If you have a surround sound set-up, you will find yourself disabling that function to just listen to the thiels!These speakers are of definite audio-phile level in quality,and performance, and thus will magnify any weaknesses in your system. If you can find these speakers used... buy them! I've auditioned several brands in the 3-5k range, and I just keep comming back to these thiels, which I purchased used in pristine condition for $1150.00

Purchased At:   the sound room

Submitted by rudedog73 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2002

Bottom Line:
There the finest spkr you'll find under $5000 PERIOD!!! I have heard the best and for my money these have been outstanding performers for years and for years to come! I cant say enough about the service from Thiel "AWESOME" people!

Purchased At:   Hi End Hi-Fi