Thiel CS2.4 (Natural Cherry) Floorstanding Speakers

• Store Promotions Shipping Price

Floor-standing speaker aluminum drivers,heavily braced MDF cabinet

Submitted by bmontani a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
I recently replaced a vintage pair of Vandersteen 3’s with the Thiel 2.4s. I purchased the 2.4s used on Audiogon and they had approx 50 hours on them when I received them according to the previous owner. The seller said that the Thiel’s just didn’t mate well with his McIntosh electronics. When I received them, I was somewhat prepared to work thru the process of break in and correct placement but there were a few times I questioned myself about the purchase. When I first hooked up the speakers, I felt that the bass was definitely on the lean side and the top end was edgy and hard. Because I knew more break in time was required, I ignored it but after another 50 or 60 hours I began to have concerns. My room is 16x25 with an 18ft ceiling. My initial placement was 3 feet from the back wall and I split the short dimension of the room in threes with about 5.5” feet between the two speakers. After about 100 hours the top end smoothed out quite a bit but was still too edgy for my taste, especially after living with the Vandersteens all those years. The bass was starting to fill in and the sound stage was pretty good-I was still, however, unhappy with the overall sound. That’s when I reread some of the Thiel literature and some reviewer’s comments. Thiels can be place further apart than most speakers. I experimented with placement for several hours and finally found that when the speakers were about 34” from the back wall and 7.5ft apart, it was magic. The bass filled in totally, the edge on the upper end disappeared and the soundstage was unbelievable. If you have good upstream equipment and you are willing to take some time with room set up and proper placement, I would highly recommend the 2.4s.

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by Mazinkaiser a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
The product model year pull down window on audio review did not have an option for model year 2005, but my pair are. I got the Thiel CS 2.4's about a month ago. I have been using the Thiel PCS which I LOVE to death, but they are going to make it to rear duty for surround. I wanted a more fuller sound then the 6 1/2 woofer can provide from the PCS.
The 2.4's are not quite broken in yet. My PCS took awhile to break in approx 110 hours so I figure I'll give them some more time to sound their finest, although at this point I am pretty happy with my purchase. IF the 2.4's will indeed get better then I am in for a surprise bonus :)

I bought the 2.4's with the optional outriggers for a bit of extra stability cause here in Southern California we get earthquakes from time to time. The outriggers not only make the speaker more stable (they are already pretty stable, but I am a bit paranoid and I refer to the earthquake thing), but they also allow me to adjust the rake of the speaker easily and as a bonus they look cool! A family member said the whole speaker and outrigger assembly remind them of Darth Vader :) (I got mine in the Black Ash finish).

Purchased At:   GNP

Submitted by dewinkle a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
This model Thiel is a slight improvement of the 2.3. The bass is deeper and the highs are more smoothe with a little more air. I don't think I have heard a better speaker for the money yet. These speakers do take time to dial in, and require some patience to get just right, but once you do hang on and enjoy the ride. Like the placement, these are also sensitive to cables, amps, and source components (as are other Thiels). Garbage in, garbage out. If you expect these to make a mediocre system sound better, save your money and upgrade your electronics first.

Purchased At:   Audio Consultants

Submitted by adidino a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Bottom Line:
Well, this is probably my 6th set of loud speakers since I've started getting into this adictive hobby about 10 years ago. Started off with a set of Bose Lifestyles, moved on to Paradigms, to M&K, B&W, Revel and so on.. I finally made a decision to add the Thiel 2.4 for my portfolio. I was first introduced to these my a local dealer here in NJ about 2 months ago. This is the first time I was ever really excited about a loud speaker. First. the Thiel 2.4's look absolutly beautiful (especially with the optional outriggers installed) and the sound just blew me away. The detail for both music and Home Theater was breath taking. Excellent base response and the mids to high so pleasing to the ear. I would suggest at least 20 hours of break in for even better performance. If you have the opportunity to audition these at a local dealer, please do, nothing like these anywhere, especially for the price!

Purchased At:   Audio Video

Submitted by DMolisher a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2004

Bottom Line:
Simply awesome. While not cheap, it easily competes with speakers costing more than double its asking price. I expect this was my *last* speaker upgrade (after a recent series of upgrades). I have NO complaints about the sound. I (and my wife) wish such great sound could come from a smaller cabinet. Myself, I would love a speaker in between Theil's CS1.6 (from which I upgraded) and this 2.4 (while my wife wishes I'd step all the way down to standmounts, of course).

Highs are crystal clear and airy, yet not at all fatigueing or bright. Bass is satifying and weighty, yet clean and quick. Transients are lightning-quick and the soundstage is ridiculously wide (probably in part due to the curved and sloped baffle), despite the size of the speaker. Silences are pitch-black, and dynamics are just great.

Compared to Thiel's CS1.6, the CS2.4 has greater DYNAMICS, *much* deeper and more powerful BASS, and a greater treble extension (more clearly showing the benefits of SACD and DVD-Audio's high frequencies). Both are *excellent* loudspeakers, setting the benchmarks in their respective price ranges; but the CS2.4 is the no-compromise victor for me. The CS3.7 will be the next uber-product from Jim Thiel, ...but it will be too large (and expensive) for me.

Purchased At:   The Sound Concept (D