Thiel CS.5 Floorstanding Speakers

Two-way ported design. 6.5" woofer 1" metal dome tweeter

Submitted by heldgio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Love the Thiels! These speakers give a very natural sound with superior detail, each instrument occupying its own space and sounding like a live concert. Imaging and soundstage are super. Highs and mids are superior and authentic sounding. Bass is tight and usually very strong, but, as many have said before, don't buy these speakers if you want thumping bass -- these are for the listener that wants 10th row sound, natural tight bass. That being said, I am happy with the bass. It is very present, just not hypnotic, artificially amplified and overreaching like the mass produced products. The only complaint is that for some tunes the bass sometimes is weaker than I expected, but it varies from disk to disk (and note my speakers are in the final phase of breaking in). I think it depends somewhat on the recording and training my ears to the new sound [I suspect when they are fully broken in and I am used to the sound [i.e., I lose the Fisher/Sony artificial sound in my head], I will give these speakers a 5 rating]. Perfect for rock, jazz, classical. Did not try rap, but would think not good for that. Finally, at this price range, some sacrifice is going to be made, and on balance, these are terrific speakers.

We paid an additional $127 for the dark cherry stain and they look great.

I listened to B&W 602/3, NHTs, Paradigm Ref 20s and some others in the price range and below. The detail and soundstage and authenticity of sound jumped out at me. The B&Ws were rounded and fuller, but the bass was too thumping. NHT was too tight. Paradigm sound was thin. Thiels blew me away. You have to train your ear to listen to music all over again because the Thiels really bring out the true music that you are not used to hearing. Once you get used to and accept that real music isn't thumping bass, it is one of the most satisfying listening you'll have at this price.

Used with:
Rotel RA-1060 integrated amp
Rotel RCD-1070 CD
Pro Audio Soundlink speaker wire
Custom House Piranha interconnect [with these speakers make sure to avoid using interconnect that amplifies the brightness--get one that is neutral]

Purchased At:   Spearit Sound

Submitted by Chuck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
THis is nothing but a quick note. I love these speakers! It is that simple. I have looked at other types of speakers, specifically Aerial 7B-which were nice but were they 4times nicer? I always come back to the Thiels and enjoy them. I use them for stereo and HT currently. My hopes are to upgrade to 2.3s soon. These speakers may not be for you, but if you are looking at speakers that range from $1000-$1500 you need to listen to these!

B&K 307
Acurus A250
Bettercables
Thiel SCS center

Submitted by Filipp Prager a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
Listened to a heap of speakers and never heard anything truly outstanding, until now. I was really skeptical as the cabinets are minute but within the first few seconds I knew these speakers were different to the norm. These are the first speakers that sound anything like real life, dynamic. Out of tens of speakers these really stood out, they made me want to listen to "just one more song"! OK they lack deep bass but are nigh on perfect in every other respect.
Also listened to CS1.5 and these had the bass I was craving.

Submitted by SHeldon a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
Having audiotioned these speakers extensively, I feel I should write some things to clear up confusion with their low ratings. First off, these speakers are phenominal. I would have picked then up if I hadn't made the decision to get a pair of martin logans.
Highs: the highs are very good, however they do lack some involvement that the rest of the ranges seem to have done really well. THere is somewhat of a lack of detail, and spaciousness about it all. THe highs are presented well though, and this concern is very irrelavent with such strengths in the mid and lower mids for a speaker in this price range.
Mids: amazing describes it all. I sat one of my friends down to listen to these, his only comment was, My god, am I at the concert?
Lows: good, they are not going to stop your heart when the hit, but what can one expect out of a small speaker. For a small speaker they do come across very well tough

All in all, this is a speaker that will involve one in the music. There will be no regrets after purchasing a pair of .5's I assure you. They have all of the characteristics of the larger models, simply on a smaller scale.

Submitted by M. Saunders a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
Well, after reading a few reviews, I must be doing -everything- wrong. My baby Thiels are set up in a pseudo equilateral triangle arrangement, they're slightly toed in, I sit WAY too close, and I dare to use interconnects and speaker cable that some consider bright. Wow. Thing is, these are not in the least bit bright and sound great in my limited space!. My earlier Thiel 04a's had a much hotter tweeter, although not 'edgy' or obnoxious. In my listening room, with my meager associated equipment, the .5's provide the least colored and most coherent sound at anywhere near the buck. These are the most important characteristics for me, as most other speakers impart a grain or coloration to vocals and instruments in a manner than offends me, whereas the Thiels are much more natural, and also, unfortunately, very revealing of poor source material. As most of the current crop of CDs are recorded rather bright and edgy at times... well, then the Thiels will sound a bit bright and edgy. Can't help you there. Give the .5's some good program material, and they just might be your ticket. They tend to err on the side of subtraction rather than addition, in that they do not add what is not there, and I find their reputed lack of bass only to be a problem for hard core funk and R&B, in most everything else it's fine. The quality of your cabling and front end definitely make a difference in the quality of the bass, so don't skimp there. At 1500/pair, there are compromises to be made. I hate edgy sounding or tonally colored speakers, being that I've heard (and lust after) 'the good stuff' (Pipedreams, big Martin Logans), so I'm very happy with the .5's, although there are certainly a lot of very good choices out there you should investigate as well. But 'bright', in my room, no, the .5's are far from that.

Associated Equipment:

Rega Planet 2000
Marantz PM57 Integrated
AR Turntable / Mission774 arm / Grado 8mr
Kimber Silver Streak Interconnects
Kimber 4TC speaker cable

Purchased At:   Nicholsons

Dolby digital, Dts, and srs cs 5.1

I have a question about the sound formats on my receiver. I have a dolby digital icon on a button and also cs 5.1 which is srs. What the hell is srs and when is it used? My receiver seems to go to dolby pro logic formats when I use this button but isn't this the same button for 5.1 or 6.1 dolby a ... Read More »