Tannoy Revolution R2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.8/5 (40 Reviews)

Excellent floorstanding speakers

Submitted by graham answerth a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2017

Bottom Line:
I bought the Tannoy pair of r2s back in 2000. I needed them to accurately reproduce recordings I was working on, using then Adat 8 track digital and Yamaha o3D mixing desk. I went to an audio store in a suburb of Melbourne, and asked or a blind listening test to ALL of their speakers. My budget was about $3500 Au and only the best would do as I was super fussy and needed total accuracy. Anyway, after aural fatigue after about two hours of listening to speakers, the salesperson switched the comparator to the Tannoys and suddenly, wow.. how sweet, how clear. I was familiar with the material as I had recorded it. The price at the time was $800 for the pair. I bought them without further ado, and fiddled with the rear port until the bass sounded about right. Now, my system sounds wonderful as I have added a powered subwoofer, without which the Tannoys would be accurate at frequencies above 100 Hz, but lacked punch, well, to my ears anyway. I was bussing my recordings through the Yamaha mixer into a then 10-year-old QSC 100 watts per channel amp.... bullet proof. no tone controls, just individual vol controls on each channel. And it is now 28 or so years old and has NEVER missed a beat. Now, I now longer record, but if you wish to listen to my recordings, go to www.showcaseyormusic.com/marimbas and you will discover music made by children on orchestral percussion instruments, albeit student size. I did record an acoustic album of a young woman singer, and it was important to capture the timbre of her voice.Unfortunately, due to personality clashes with the musician, we abandoned the project and the album is lying fallow at the moment. But, if anyone wishes for floor standing speakers and have an extra $k for a good subwoofer, one will get the ultimate sound in- expensively. Other hi end speakers sound harsh and metallic to my ears. Everything from Mozart to modern popular and acoustic sounds just so lush and sweet through the R2s.

Submitted by Pedro Roeseler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2016

Bottom Line:
Hi guys.

I just bought these second hand speakers after listening to several other brands and these are the ones that stand out. I'm using a 5.1 amplifier(pioneer VSX-528-K) with them which obviously isn't the perfect scenario but the sound still amazes me...
I would like to buy some rear speakers that could work with these ones and I saw good reviews on the Tannoy revolution R1. I found some on ebay but the problem is that I live in Portugal and they don't post outside the UK...
Does anyone recommend other speakers or know someone that is selling the R1?

Thanks for your time.

Submitted by Nigel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2015

Bottom Line:
I had the chance to audition these speakers recently against others. I am amazed by the quality of sounds these produce. I would say that for the money when new was a steal, I have speakers that cost 4 times that these cost but I must say the overall sound quality equals the more expensive ones and in some frequencies especially middle, excels.

Submitted by jopie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
this is a great speaker, who can play everything of music.
it,s sweats, en never sounds thin or hard.
it,s a good looking speaker, wih a super presentation, voor me it is a number one.
i,m happy with it.

Purchased At:   holland

Submitted by cristo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
When I first purchased these speakers, I was simply bowled over by the clarity of the sound they put out. The speakers they replaced were Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearls; swapping the speakers and doing a before and after test, it sounded like the MSs weren't producing any midrange at all! I had read reviews citing the excellent midrange of these speakers, I was pleased to discover that they had not been exaggerating!

The midrange excellence common to all Tannoy products stems from Tannoy's original core business of public address systems and studio monitors. Such systems were rated according to how identifiable various letter sounds were to listeners. The critical frequencies for speach intelligibility are close to 1000Hz, the overtones that distinguish the various vowel sounds. Human hearing is adapted to excel at these frequencies, so they are the most important for transparent sound reproduction. A bit off topic, but hopefully that explains why I prefer Tannoy speakers with their minimal THD!

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds