Tannoy Revolution R2 Floorstanding Speakers

4.79/5 (39 Reviews)

Excellent floorstanding speakers

Submitted by Pedro Roeseler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2016

Bottom Line:
Hi guys.

I just bought these second hand speakers after listening to several other brands and these are the ones that stand out. I'm using a 5.1 amplifier(pioneer VSX-528-K) with them which obviously isn't the perfect scenario but the sound still amazes me...
I would like to buy some rear speakers that could work with these ones and I saw good reviews on the Tannoy revolution R1. I found some on ebay but the problem is that I live in Portugal and they don't post outside the UK...
Does anyone recommend other speakers or know someone that is selling the R1?

Thanks for your time.

Submitted by Nigel a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2015

Bottom Line:
I had the chance to audition these speakers recently against others. I am amazed by the quality of sounds these produce. I would say that for the money when new was a steal, I have speakers that cost 4 times that these cost but I must say the overall sound quality equals the more expensive ones and in some frequencies especially middle, excels.

Submitted by jopie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
this is a great speaker, who can play everything of music.
it,s sweats, en never sounds thin or hard.
it,s a good looking speaker, wih a super presentation, voor me it is a number one.
i,m happy with it.

Purchased At:   holland

Submitted by cristo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2005

Bottom Line:
When I first purchased these speakers, I was simply bowled over by the clarity of the sound they put out. The speakers they replaced were Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearls; swapping the speakers and doing a before and after test, it sounded like the MSs weren't producing any midrange at all! I had read reviews citing the excellent midrange of these speakers, I was pleased to discover that they had not been exaggerating!

The midrange excellence common to all Tannoy products stems from Tannoy's original core business of public address systems and studio monitors. Such systems were rated according to how identifiable various letter sounds were to listeners. The critical frequencies for speach intelligibility are close to 1000Hz, the overtones that distinguish the various vowel sounds. Human hearing is adapted to excel at these frequencies, so they are the most important for transparent sound reproduction. A bit off topic, but hopefully that explains why I prefer Tannoy speakers with their minimal THD!

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds

Submitted by LENQ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2004

Bottom Line:
After reading all the great reviews for these speakers, decided to get a pair for my home system. I couldn't be happier with the R-2s. They reproduce the sounds as they were recorded. I must say that I've never cared about technical data, so I won't get into any of that. I just listen to the equipment/speakers and is as simple as one sounds better than the other. My good ol' ears never lie to me. I've played all varieties of music on these speakers - Nora Jones, Sting, Louis Amstrong, Pavaroti, Bare Naked Ladies, Master and Commander Sountrack, Juan Luis Guerra, and Tracy Chapman among others - and the R-2s showed no weaknesses. These speakers add depth to a room setup that handicaps them in every possible way (no reflection wall for the right speaker, a 30' high ceiling, they both point at 10' high by 12' wide windows) and they still provide excellent sound. I have tried many high-end speakers B&W, Linn, Naim to name a few and the R-2 speakers, for their price, have no equal.

Purchased At:   California Audio