Tannoy GRF Memory TW Floorstanding Speakers

Prestige loudspeaker with Dual concentric 15" driver

Submitted by Chris Kantarelis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought my first hi fi system at the age of 15 (1974)with the money from a summer job.Since that time listening to music until today is my main hobby.I love music and I enjoy it better when is reproduced well.During all these years I have listent to alot of equipment. I use both vinyl and since 1995 CD playback.I have concluded that a music reproduction system must have the following:
1.very good midrange
2.microdynamics
3.full frequency spectrum (ideally from 20 to 20K)
4.to be able to perform well at low but also at high volumes if required.
In a audio system considering that the rest of the components are build to a minimum standard the component that influences the sound most is the loudspeakers used.The first time in my life that I listent to a tannoy dual concentric loudspeaker was in 1981. Since that time I got stuck with them.I bought my first pair in 1982( a Tannoy super red monitor which I still have in my wife's office) when I got my first job. Since that time I listen to Tannoy Dual concentric loudspeakers most of the time. There were a few short periods that I used other loudspeakers like Magnepans,Spica,Spendor and Triagle.But I was always going back to the Tannoys after afew months. Then it happened in 1998 when I managed to buy a pair of GRF memory.Since that time I never thought that somethig is missing from the sound.I have used them with many amplifiers according to mood and recently I added the Tannoy Supper tweeter ST100 which realy works.I never feel that I need more.
Only in a case of a bigger house I would consider the Tannoy Westminister.
My current system is:
Turntable: AVID/SME309
Cartridge: VDH MCone/Denon 103
CD player: NAIM CDI
Pre-amp: QUAD 99
Power amp: AUDION GOLDEN NIGHT 300B monoblocks/ QUAD 99 monoblocks

Purchased At:   Local Representative

Submitted by gerald daclin a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1999

Bottom Line:
i personnally own a pair of Thiel 2.3 loudspeakers paired with a Krell 300i and a Arcam alpha 9 CD player, i've had the opportunity to listen to a 3 or 4 year old Tannoy GRF and waouh !

My overall impression is that this a great speaker. When i listenned to their were teamed up to a Brinkman integrated amp (german brand) and a linn CD player : the soundstage image was terrific (i think better than the thiel). The sound might be a little warm but i couldn't say if it comes from the amp or the speakers themselves but i loved it any way.

as i'm a jazz fan i like when you can hear and feel the bass and bass there is with the tannoy ! Bass but no overload of them i guess it's because of their volume (around 200 liters). And there's their weakest point : space. You really nead a big living room to accomodate them because they are just BIG (bigger than the thiel).

if you have plenty of room, just listen to them and enjoy.