Tannoy GRF Memory HE Floorstanding Speakers

Submitted by JGCK a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
This really is a good speaker. It's got a huge soundstage, very good bass and nice treble.
The only thing is if you don't use the right amplifier (tubeamplifier is preferred) you are punished with a very average sound. With a Marantz PM80 connected the TGF sounded like a transitorradio. The TGF really is made to work together with an tubeamplifier (for example a 300b design) (i've got the Heart Beat amplifiers from Rik Stoet a dutch brand).

Submitted by bachandel a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was surprised to find these speakers at a relative's house overseas. At first, I didn't know what they were...Lowthers? Altecs from the 50's? I turned them on and was transported by the realism of the speakers. It was one of the most musical speakers I had ever heard...every characteristic that makes a speaker sound like real music was there...accuracy, balance, transients, weightiness and delicacy, etc. I knew the front end was not helping that much. The source was either a Sony Laserdisc player or Sony CD player (not even ES). The amplification was Quad 44+606. These speakers were hungering for higher quality power, but it still managed to sing. When I returned to America, I looked up these speakers...ouch, they are way too expensive! You get a lot of speaker for the money, in terms of size and weight. However, I can't help thinking they are too much money...though I can't think of a half-price speaker that would give you the same sound! 8)

Submitted by Fang-Yeh Chen a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
After extensive review of the audio literature, including Gramophone, I haven't come across any dissent that these speakers are out of this world. Now that I have listened for hundreds of hours I can vouch for this personally. The musical warmth and intimacy conjured by these speakers has to be experienced to be believed. However these speakers do require a high-powered amplifier to get the full effect that I have just described. I really do notice the difference when the right amplifier is used - the fidelity is almost perfect.
In my experience it's not that important to have a big room to enjoy these speakers to the utmost. Some still argue that a two-speaker system is the closest you can get to perfection but it is my opinion that a good surround system can create the most vivid sound field. You might be laughing at this. Don't be a closed-minded antique, open your mind to new possibilities with this old brand.

Submitted by Adriano Campos a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
These speakers are fantastic to work with my amplifier
(Jadis Orquestra Reference).