Tannoy Fusion 4 Floorstanding Speakers

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

The New Tannoy Fusion range offers a choice of loudspeakers for home cinema or hi-fi applications of truly outstanding performance and value. The Fusion line-up comprises two bookshelf models, two floor-standers, a centre channel and a rear effects loudspeaker. Materials and components have been carefully selected to maximise the system performance and offer real acoustic benefits. Solid wood material for the cabinet construction, including a substantial 19mm MDF front baffle, provide the essential cabinet rigidity required of a good loudspeaker design. To cater for both modern and more traditional décor, all the models are offered in either an apple wood or dark oak vinyl veneer.

Submitted by jay a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2012

Bottom Line:
These are great speakers , i use a a harmon kardon 1565 receiver with the tannoy mercury 4.
Nice treble and good bass, I was using bose for many years they are no where close to these tannoy, I would recommend this to anyone with a tight budget but who also needs great sound.

Submitted by jbryant696 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
tannoy is one of the best set of speakers i have ever ownd i reccomend you get some.

Submitted by tiomiguel a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my review. These speakers CHANGE A LOT with the place, so, be very carefull WHERE you place THEM. If yoo place them correctly, they could be the best speakers you can get for the money
YAMAHA AX-497
TANNOY MERCURY F4

Submitted by tiomiguel a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have a pair of these speakers, combined with:
- Source SONY DVP-LS785V
- Amplifier SONY TA-FB730R

These speakers were an upgrade for my TANNOY MERCURY M3, The best you can buy, and their sound is excellent, but the amplifier demands bigger speakers.
So, i have the mercury,s in another smaller room.

Submitted by Steve a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2006

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my previous review listed below...

These speakers are now known as the "Mercury F" series!

I have now had a chance to listen to these speakers for 6 months and they just keep growing on me.

After burning the surround system in and getting the placement of speakers and furniture as good as I can in my family room, the sound form all of the speakers is consistently detailed and accurate

Using the F4's for Stereo makes for a very pleasing "musical" experience.

SACD's also sound very good

I recently had the chance to review the Sensys and Eyris models in comparison to the F4's and was very pleased to find that the most noticeable difference in sound was only an increase in the higher frequencies. In particular, trumpets sounded "alive" on the Eyris 2's, which is not surprising considering the $3000/pair price tag, but the overal tone defferences between the Eyris 2's and the F-4's was minimal.

Similarly the Sensys DC2 performance was in the middle of the F-4's and the Eyris 2's - i.e. same tonal qualities, just a little brighter on the top end

Both Sensys and Eyris speakers also provide a little more accurate and open sound stage, but for $800 CDN the F4's are a steal

The F4's can be a little sensitive to placement and in my setup I found that the best stereo image was obtained by having them set back from the front of my 52 inch DLP TV by about 3-4 inches

I am extremely happy with my purchase

PREVIOUS REVIEW:

I spent over an hour listening to these speakers powered by both a NAD solid state amp and also a 12 watt tube amp and all models were superb for the price.

Tannoy recommends to bi-wire these and I can verify that they are much more detailed wired this way - but you will been big cables to get the bass out. I coupled them using Van den Hul CS-122 wires and I am very impressed with the final result. Very clear, detailed, tight bass that can move the floors and walls (according to my wife). Beautifully balanced mids and highs with exceptional detail and clarity.

At present, I do not have them setup in the perfect environment so I cannot really comment on the sound stage, but from what I currently hear I think this will be exceptional also.

The finish is very good, and my only comment is that the binding posts appear a little on the cheap side, but I'm using banana plugs (good ones) so I have no need to crank down on the nuts.

I also purchased the Fusion 1's for my rear speakers and the Centre Channel - the whole setup is great, BUT it takes about 2-3 weeks to really burn these in and the Centre channel really needs this!

I listened to a Eric Clapton Live on Tour 2001 concert on DVD and it fealt like I was there - truly amazing sound engineering on the DVD aided by the Fusion speakers of course

Nelly Furtado CD has some wicked low bass on it that I'd never heard & sensed before.
The Nylons, Paul Simon, Annie Lennox, Seal, Sarah McLachlan and John Williams sound awesome
And if you really want to flex the speakers - Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells I and II, or any Vangelis rocks the walls

For the price, I think the sound is amazing - detailed, balanced and very controlled - the woofers are extremely fast

I'm driving them with a Denon AVR1800 - they are very well matched - bags of power!

Words of Caution:
Don't expect these speakers to make a CD with poor sound engineering to sound good - but the good ones sound awesome!

On some albums the sound is completely different from what I was used to hearing - some sounded boxey - others sound thin and some sounded real bassey - I had to listen to some albums on which the sound engineer did a much better job to realize this was the intended sound.

I am now a Tannoy convert - I used to love the sound of B & W - Still do, but Tannoy has a clear lead!

I did audition the Canadian speakers, but after hearing the Tannoy you could hear they lacked a lot of detail on the bass

Purchased At:   Lockridge Hi-Fi - Ca

Tannoy Fusion 4 or Tannoy Mercury MX4?

I am going to find buy new speakers, but I have problem to choose new ones. I have now JBL L80 loudspeakers, but I am going to change those. It is very difficult to find center and surround speakers to that serie. I love the sound of my current speakers, but I wonder that is there any speakers, w ... Read More »