Tannoy Churchill Floorstanding Speakers

3.71/5 (7 Reviews) MSRP : $14000.00

Submitted by Mike a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
The Tannoy Churchill speakers are accurate, have great dynamics, are very sensitive (i.e., one watt of clean power is all you need to play them very loud), and are easy to listen to for long periods of time. The sound is well balanced throughout the frequency range. They sound good playing all kinds of music (e.g., classical, rock, jazz, etc.). Materials and workmanship are top notch. I listen to music nearly every day and am very happy with my Churchills.

Submitted by paul ventura a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm don't have an audiophile budget and am not used to speakers in this price range. However, my ears work just as well as any other critical listener's. I heard these speakers with McIntosh amplification at a local salon, using my own test cd. I expected to be blown away, and was severely disappointed. They are impressive in size and really do sound good, but they DON'T sound oh-my-god, I can see why people spend so much on these things wonderful. Makes me wonder if any of the ultra-high end stuff is worth it. I hope it is, but didn't see it in these speakers.

Submitted by Jim a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have lived with these for almost 3 months now in both critical stereo listening mode and home theatre - I have 2 pair. In home theatre they are full range and image so well that I operate them in phantom centre channel and no sub - the processor mixing as appropriate into front and rear channels. I use Assemblage 300b's in stereo to biamp each speaker with amps 3 feet from each speaker - providing 18 wats per channel (ie left to hf and right to lf). 4 stereo amps provide incredible home theatre sound in 20ft by 30ft room with 8 ft ceiling. Front speakers work best and only bloom when 1/3 rule is used - 1/3 from side walls and 1/3 into room. Check out Cardas.com for speaker placement formulae. What took me weeks moving these lugs could have been done in 5 minutes if I had read the article beforehand. Used DH Labs speaker wire and was way too bright and midrange ring to it and found $.60 per foot stranded copper that was the perfect match - so much for good speaker cable. I removed all of the damping foam to get the right amount of bass for working with my 300b's. Although not as liquid in the midrange as my Quad USA Monitors, the Churchills have a very electrostic sound which actually sounds more correct. At 96db efficiency, these speakers rock with the 300b's. Most importantly I enjoy these in both Stereo and Home Theatre mode. By the way, the surrounds are located in the back corners about 3 feet out from the corner itself.

Submitted by Peter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2000

Bottom Line:
I heard these for about 2 hours in a set up at a high fi store localy.Had about $50000 worth of amplification pre amp cd player dac and wires hooked up to it.Now i thought i was going to just get blown away.Well i sat there and liked what i heard but for the money.The speakers retail in the 20000 + mark in Canada.I wanted more.I have heard Logans,B&W, with lesser amplification sound better.My own system which is a Rogue Model 88 Tube Amp Rogue Model 66 Tube Pre Amp Mcintosh 7008 CD player Audioquest double run of Midnight and Coincident Speaker Technology Super Conquest loud spekers sounds pretty close.The Churchill was a little better in the bottom end but could not touch the Conquest in mid and high end.This is definitaly a product for those whose main objective is to brag about how much they spent on a system.Not for one who cares what his sound is like.Great sounding speaker but for 1/3 to 1/2 the money you can do much better.

Submitted by Dr. J a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've never heard of huge speakers like the Tannoy Churchills performing a vanishing act!
But that's exactly what these $15,000.00 behemoths do. They disappear and all that's left
is a wall of the most beautiful sound stage you will ever hear. The cabinets are constructed
from the finest French walnut veneers and they do match - front to front, side to side &
top to bottom. Even the outboard crossovers are matched perfectly. These speakers are
the finest made singing furniture I have ever seen.
I didn’t think my wife would like the look when I “ auditioned ” them in our 40’L X 24’W
X 10’H flat sounding living room. But I’m a very lucky man and she liked them better
then “ the boxes “ I had before. The room is filled with overstuffed chairs and couches.
There is a thick wool rug covering the floor which takes care of any stray reverberations.
When I played ' Saint James Infirmary ' from Stereophile's CD, the band was transported
into my home. The ambient information was all around me. After some time with the
300B SET amplification, I changed to High Bias Class A 300 watt solid state. There was a
loss of fine midrange transparency and magic but now I felt that visceral gut-shot you only
get from a live performance. The low bass was able to rattle my bones without an
exaggerated bottom end and the Tannoys proved their potential for very high sound levels.
I’ve listened to a lot of different music through these dual concentric loudspeakers and
they always deliver a convincing solid rhythmic drive. They do need a lot of room to
properly breath and placement is important. Whatever amplification gives you stereo
nirvana, you can add the Churchills to end loudspeaker discontentment.