Tannoy Mercury M2
Description: (See reviews)

Submitted by companyk19th a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2009

Bottom Line:
these speakers let you hear thinks that i never hear before on my cd's. the only down side is the is there is none, but over all you can not beat the sound and the look of the tannoy speakers. I was going to buy focal and for the money focal are very good speakers, but when to look at the price of the tannoy m2, they will stand up to the 900 speakers

Submitted by TT230 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
These speakers are superb all-rounders. They play all kinds of music well especially at this price. Strong points definately lie with instrumentals and vocals, although can be forgiven for sounding slightly wooden. Bass is there biggest downfall and can sound a little muddy although at their price I aint complaining. To be honest these could easily be considered the best speakers your ever likely to buy especially at there second hand price of around £30 and can be picked up on auction sites like ebay. They have been around for around 7yrs now but can still give most music listeners a very satisfying sound indeed. Top marks for value and overall rating..

Purchased At:   John Lewis

Submitted by Patrick a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I admit that I know very little about hifi equipment and I have almost no ear for the finer points of music. All I know is that I paid $500 for these speakers and even I can tell the HUGE difference between this system (hooked up to a NAD 306 integrated AMP along with NAD cd player and tuner) and the crap I used to have, listening to cd's ive heard a thousand times I can finally hear all the music, I can hear parts individually which were previously lost in the mix. I now know what the term musical imagery means and the experience has changed my musical listening experience - I've seen the audio light as such.

Originally started hoping to get away with a pair of $300 bookshelf speakers but listening to these the quality difference was well and truly worth a little extra.

Submitted by Russell Kishi a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
This speaker delivers as much bang for the buck as any audio product can rightfully be expected to deliver. I bought the Mercury M2 on the strength of early acclaim in the British press. I even managed to negotiate a bottom line purchase price of less than $350 complete with whatever obscene sales tax applied in California at the time.

Everything previous reviewers observed about lengthy break in time is correct. It took a good month before this speaker came to full life. But once that stage was reached, it has found a solid place in my audio system for close to five years now.

The speaker is strongest from the midrange to upper registers. It definitely exhibits just enough bass to make you feel you're listening to a larger speaker. But bass definitely becomes a liability in dense, complex music mixes. Observations about congestion of images during thick music are right on.It ultimately convinces you that you are listening to a budget speaker, as opposed to something akin to the Quad 10L or 11L. But this speaker excels on female vocals and does a fairly convincing job of reproducing violin and orchestral string tone.

I have never actually used this speaker in anything approaching an optimal position. Because of real world budgetary concens, I never actually purchased a pair of speaker stands that might do this loudspeaker justice. I have actually positioned the speakers upside down atop the early DCM Time Windows (purchased in 1982 at the legendary and now defunct Accurate Audio in Santa Monica, California).

Its remarkable how close the little M2 rivals the larger DCM Time Window. I would venture also to say that it presents a more realistic overall soundstage than the time window, which tends to present a larger than life sonic image because of its dispersion pattern similar to the Allison Acoustics designs of the 1970s.

The entire system benefits from amplification from the classic Sumo Nine power amplifier (see reviews of the Sumo Nine Plus on this website and you'll understand). The Sumo Nine is as close a rival to the obscenely expensive Krell and others in this price bracket as anyone could ever want. Class A amplification of roughly 62 watts per channel truly reveals all of the strengths and weaknesses of the Mercury M2.

To quote the British magazine HI FI WORLD (which continues to list the Mercury M2 in its monthly favorites listi

Purchased At:   High end dealer in T

Submitted by ray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
MA Bronze 2 have better reviews, so I sold my M2. But after 6 months of 6 hour/day listening to the bronze 2, here is my opinion:
I was listening to this Jazz CD on the M2 and I can hear the wind coming out the mouth of the saxophonist or the fingers on the guitar, but I can't hear those on the Bronze 2. I thought I was missing a lot of cymbals and highs on the M2, but it was too forward on the Bronze 2. M2's are more pleasant to listen to, just like a friend of mine says. Good thing somebody wants to buy my Bronze 2. This time I will get the TANNOY R-2.

Purchased At:   av store in hawaii