Tannoy 632 plus Floorstanding Speakers

3.5/5 (6 Reviews)

Submitted by Basil a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2010

Bottom Line:
Just picked a pair of these second hand. I have to disagree with the previous reviewer, there is nothing unacceptable about the sound of these little Tannoys...
The box itself eludes quality, the binding posts are superb and there are provisions for biwiring. In addition to the cloth grille, there is a magnetic grille on the golden-anodized tweeter - nice touch..

As is, the sound is a little flat, a bit too neutral for my liking. Very clear though. You have to match other system components to your liking.

BUT.. the fun begins when you use them in conjuction with another speaker. The seller gave me a Tannoy 622 (for free basically:) - a dual concentric center speaker. I run all three of them in a quasi triphonic mode off an old NAD 304. The third speaker totally transforms the sound which is now room-filling, more involving, more real and in general a pleasure to listen to. No lack of bass btw.

SO: get them cheap and run them in triphonic, you'll be happy..

Submitted by OrpheusTouch a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I was given a pair of these speakers in perfect condition and I tried very hard to get them to perform well.
Unfortunately , I did not succeed. They are simply too small and too old to be anywhere near as good as modern speakers.
I tried these on several different amps with high quality cables but they never failed to disappoint.
They were budget speakers 15 years or so ago when they came out so perhaps I expected too much.
The earlier DC1000 is a far better but bigger speaker.

Submitted by Ben a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
Excellent little speaker for the money.
I picked these up in absolutely mint condition for £41 which is a steal! They're rosewoood and look the badgers nadgers. The good looks are complimented by a nice sound, although I've found that they are quite difficult to drive and not the most efficient of speakers. Still, will go loud enough for a small to small-medium room and as rears they are excellent speakers.
Bass isn't as tight as some more high end missions I've heard but it's got quite a bit of kick to it.
They are very accurate speakers and will really let you know if the quality of the source is lacking. I listen to a lot of mp3 music and if you get a slightly less than "excellent" recording you'll know about it.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by misterD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have thoroughly enjoyed these speakers, used in smaller rooms and on good solid stands i found they produce a very big and airy sound. Some people may say the treble lacks bite but i think it makes high volume listening sessions less fatiguing without ever sounding muddy thanks to the satisfyingly clear midrange.

Purchased At:   moss hifi

Submitted by Martin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've just bought these speakers second-hand. I got them for 175$ including stands and speaker cables. So far, they deliver a good balanced sound for the price. I think they sound better on Jazz, Blues and Acoustic music... Classical music fan: STAY AWAY! IMHO, they sound better than B&W DM302 which I've already had few years ago (but not better than my old Electra/JMLab speakers!).

Happy listening!