Talon Audio Khite Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (9 Reviews) MSRP : $4000.00

6.5" Shielded 2 way Monitor - The Khite is a fully shielded monitor 6-1/2" 2-way using the same custom tweeter found in the Peregrine. The Khite easily reaches 35 Hz making it a very capable listening monitor. The Khite is ideal for 5 channel theater systems. It can be laid on its side for a center channel or placed on stands for rear or side channels.

Submitted by Ken a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I am not sure what the situation is with Pantophil (review below), but the only thing I can think of is that he has an ulterior motive, or the Khites he had were defective. Besides the bass speed he mentions, just about everything he states is the antithesis of these wonderful speakers. I have lived with them for almost a year now and can state without reservation that they are the finest audio transducers I have ever owned. I listened to many products in my search and these came out on top every time. I have seen quite a few live performances in my time and the Talon's come closest to the real event of any speaker I have heard. All I can say is don't use these reviews to form an opinion of any audio product (including mine), but go and listen for yourself and YOU make the decision. If you give Talon a fair chance and don't like them, fine, but don't use these reviews to make a decision as to whether or not you should even listen to them.

Submitted by Pantophil a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Very strange speakers. They are amazing in some respects (treble and bass speed) but sound awful in other areas (especially midrange and lack of anything below 90 Hz).
I bought the speakers because I liked the beautiful treble and overall dynamics. The midrange was weird, but that was supposed to change once the speakers brak in. Well, I put about 700 hours on them and the improvement was very slight; the thickness anl lack of refinement was still there. I finally gave up and decided to sell them.
When you buy any of the Talon products, be sure you not to pay more than 50% of the retail value. The resale value is very, very low - 25-30% of the retail value. I don't know the reason for that, perhaps the fact that most of the dealers were selling new Talon speakers for 40-45% of retail value, and Talon did not seem to mind. Perhaps that's what they're really worth...

Submitted by KevinT a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up review, 11 months down the road and still very happy with these Khites. I recently switched out all my interconnects for Audio Magic silver cables and these speakers took all that detail without revealing any harshness. The fellow below who bought a set to create a HT with a pair of Khorus speakers as mains is right on -- these monitors make a great pair of main speakers. They are the secret value in the Talon line since they deliver such a similar sound as the big daddy Khorus. I mated my Khites up with the ROC sub to get that last two deep octaves, and they blend very well. While it really does take 250-300 hours for Talon speakers to break in, and they keep getting better up to 500, the long wait is worth it (they don't sound too shabby after 80 hours, either!).

Purchased At:   Sanctuary For Sound/Audiogon

Submitted by Greg a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Khites to use them as rear and center channel speakers together with the Khorus as mains. The speakers as a package produce a full-bodied, room filling sound, with excellent speed and dynamics. I find myself spending too much time watching the movies :-).
What's amazing about the Khites is how similar they sound to the Khorus. They have the same rich and dynamic tonal balance, with the same "black" background and no harshness anywhere in the spectrum. In absolute terms they lose to Khorus in two areas: 1) The bass doesn't reach near as deep as the Khorus, although I was still able to get 45 Hz at -3dB with my RadioShack SPL meter. 2) The Khorus' highs seem to be extended a little higher with a little more detail, probably due to the super tweeter that the Khites don't have. I didn't really notice any differences in the midrange reproduction; both have the same rich and often seductive tonality, perhaps with the Khorus being a touch more articulate.
My living room is 32 x 24 x 19' so the Khorus was an obvious choice. If I had a little less space I think I could live happily with the Khites as my mains.

Submitted by Mark a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I was in the market for high quality small speakers and it took me numerous hours of dealer auditions and home trials before I could finally make up my mind. I guess I listened to almost everything below $5,000, currently available in NYC. Eventually it all came down to Shamrock Audio Eire against Sonus Faber Electa Amator II. Both were great speakers, with the Fabers excelling in detail retrieval and midrange fullness, while the Shamrocks were capable of reproducing very deep soundstage. I think I would have gone with the Fabers, hadn't I stumbled upon the Khites. I took them for a home audition and really liked what I heard: very, very smooth sound with rich tonal balance, detailed but not "in your face" top end and deep soundstanging. Listening to the Khites everything sounds big and full-bodied. There's nothing thin about this speakers, perhaps because the upper mids and lower treble are not as prominent as with most other designs, all that nasty smearing in the treble is gone, and what's left is great, unobstructed detail. All of that brings you closer to the music and allows for long hours of fatigue free listening. Don't get me wrong, the Khites won't put you to sleep: the dynamics are great and bass is very tight and reaches pretty low. If you add a fast and musical sub, it will make for an excellent full range setup. Talon makes their own sub, but at $4,000 it seems overpriced and was way beyond my budget anyway so I went with a REL Storm III and couldn't be happier. The integration with the Khites is seamles; no boom or bloat whatsoever; drums sound so very lifelike - tight, dynamic and full of energy. All in all I'm very happy with my Khites, and by not going with the Fabers I was able to save enough to get the REL sub with a real wood veneer which almost matches the finish of the Khites.

System used: