Swan M200 Floorstanding Speakers

4.5/5 (2 Reviews) MSRP : $379.00

Whether high-end gaming or desktop home theater the phenomenally successful Swans M200 is a performance-packed personal speaker. Since 1997, the M200 has been accepted by literally thousands of audiophiles, PC-gamers, and recording engineers worldwide.

Submitted by D. Paul Navigator a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2010

Bottom Line:
It's near the top of the list of available powered monitors. As a bookshelf speaker, it's well worth what you pay and more. The highs are beautiful and the bass is substantial, and the mids are okay. For $249 there isn't any competition for this level of quality.

Here's a simple modification that raises the sound quality substantially:

I replaced the HiVi poly woofer with the HiVi aluminum-magnesium woofer (M5N) and the speaker simply lights up now with some of the purist mid range detail I've ever heard.

Submitted by .N. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2008

Bottom Line:
I am using Swans M200MKII (newer model). I was pleasantly surprised when I got them. The sound is great. I can only express in relative terms:
* Compared with Altec Lansing ACS48 2.1 Computer Speaker System, night and day. Did not expect that much of a difference. Now will have to throw out the Lansing system.
* Compared to Sony MHC-1600 (mini shelf system), much better.
* Compared to Denon ADV-M51 (mini shelf system with subwoofer), better (sound is more spacious, more natural)
* Compared to Denon S-301 (home theater package), close. To my ears, Swans approach this system in sound, and overall impression. Denon costs close to $1000. Considering the price and compactness, it is quite impressive.

The source in all tests was my portable (uncompressed wav), to make sure the sound is the same in every test. The Denon S-301 has a nice way of syntethising/rendering sound from CD. I wanted to take that out of equasion here.

* The only scenario so far where Swans sound inferior, is when compared to the full size floorstanding Pioneer Speakers I have in the basement. 12" against 5" will always win, I guess.

I had my reservations against them -- being cheap, and unknown, and made in China, and all that -- but now all those concerns are all gone.

Have not owned them long enough to comment on reliability. Finish is impecable.

Have not noticed the lack of bass. Whatever low frequencies they reach into, retain their feel, punch and shape (which cannot be said of many speakers, including many with dedicated subwoofers (see above)).

Overall, I would characterized the sound as smooth and detailed. What I seem to like best are the unusual harmonics in low strings, or male voice and strings. I do not know if they are present in the original (and other speakers cannot render them), or if this is an add-on by these speakers. At any rate, it makes the sound of these speakers different from others -- in a way that I find very-very appealing.

-- Nick