Sony SSMB100H Floorstanding Speakers

4.43/5 (14 Reviews) MSRP : $49.95

5" Woofer with Highly Oriented Polyolefine (HOP) Cone to Minimize Distortion, 1" Nano Fine Balanced Dome.

Submitted by paradiddlz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2011

Bottom Line:
These speakers are absolutely and positively great! I often shop the Goodwills and folks, let me tell you, I find some really great deals, unbelievable. Out of all the great gear I've found in the past, I found these lil' kickers for $4.99 plus tax. I'm looking on the net, and continuing to keep my eyes open for another pair in local Goodwills to purchase another pair. I use these with a pair of Sony SA-VA15's, which I also found for $45.00 plus tax at another Goodwill and the Sony CDP-CX100 for $19.95...yup, at Goodwill.
I have this set-up in my office with a tablet p.c.also connected on the SAVA's 2nd input.
I originally had them in my 3rd bedroom using the Sony STR-D350Z, YUP, again, at another Goodwill.

Submitted by ilconsigliere a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2003

Bottom Line:
I use these speakers in the front with my Sony receiver STRDE 475, a Sony sub-woofer model WMP20, and rear speakers Bose Acoustimass 3. They sound great; very nice surround sound with my Sony DVD player S530.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Alex a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
These are great speakers, i am an audio enthusiast, and i just bought these for my son, but when i hooked them up for him, i have to admit i was tempted to take then as my own over my hk system. I am very glad to see that sony didnt produce cheep.....crap

Purchased At:   bestbuy

Submitted by Justin Kaup a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2002

Bottom Line:
I recently had to move to a new room in my dorm facility due to some renovations. Unfourtunatly my new quarters are a bit more confined and I was forced to conserve space. Of course I had to cave and replace my computer speakers. A tear was shed as my JBL D315s went into storage, but all was forgoten when I first heard these fellas.

Wow was all I could say at first, they took me by complete suprise. I was looking for an affordable alternative to substitute, but these little guys really impress. Not the most impressive speakers under the sun, but small units for under $100 producing lifelike sound like these two is almost unheard of!!

A subwoofer isn't neccissary in my situation, but is recommended if you plan to use these in a medium to large room. They would make fabulous surround speakers in an inexpensive system. I personaly like the style of this speaker, (just because a speaker looks flashy doesn't save it from sounding like junk). The suspended grille design makes for a appealing addition to my computer desk.

Enjoy :D

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Rob a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Woa! Ditto all the comments above.

As an ex-audio enthusiast, I accepted that marriage, family and finances would change the look and feel of my system. No longer placed on center stage of a dorm room, my system has dwindled from massive state-of-the-art separates to small (but still decent) components that can be tucked away or blended with my wife's constant re-decorating. Her intent on hiding speakers borders on obsession. So a recent purchase of some Klipsch SB1B's resulted in them stashed behind a recliner and a sofa. This really challenged their performance, but also exposed the weakness of our "B" system in the adjoining room. Not wanting to drop another $250, I started shopping, staying away from the high-end stores. After reading reviews here, I ended up at Best Buy to listen to the KLH low-end line. I compared those to the JBL line-up they had, and then some Yamaha's. It was almost a mistake that I saw the Sony's, because they were tucked away in a corner of the speaker section. Once I listened to the SSMB100's, I thought there was something wrong with the pricing ("Is this price per speaker, or per pair?").

The sound in the store was incredibly better than all those mentioned--excellent dynamic range, clear, tight mid- and high freq, and reasonable low-end (actually better than I expected for the size). I tested all the speakers with the same source music (a cool feature at Best Buy), and the 100's even sounded better than the SSMB200 and 300's, which were positioned right next to the 100's. They blew away the KLH's, and many of the higher priced JBL's.

Needless to say, I bought these bad boys. Got 'em home, hooked 'em up, and gave 'em a listen. Now, I won't say that they're every bit as good as my new Klipsch's, but they're pretty damn close. They lag a little on the power, and the performance certainly drops off near the 50hz level. But I'm convinced that there's no better speaker for $50, and maybe not even for $150. These guys are a "must have" for people who lean towards un-plugged music. Add a sub and you're filling the SSMB100's only flaw.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.