Sony SS-MB105 Floorstanding Speakers

4.05/5 (20 Reviews) MSRP : $100.00

Small, inexpensive ported 2-way with Sony's HOP woofer-cone material

Submitted by ANONYMOUS a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Bottom Line:
Im no audio enthusiast or audiophile and no i haven't been dedicated to music my whole life (less than 18 years) so dont start hating on me that im wrong or anything. Like i said im not an enthusaist but i do like listening to music and movies without headphones whenever i can and lately ive started to like speakers recievers etc. but so far in the time i've used them the Sony 105'shave been adequate enough in my opinion. I use them as fronts in a small 5.1 system in my room (im a minor and still live with my parents) and they have been working pretty well although at slightly higher volumes you can hear some small popping sounds when there is gunfire a door slamming or other loud BANG kind of sounds. Also they are not very good for bass, as i figured out when i plugged them into my Denon PMA-737, so i plugged them into my Yamaha reciever and they work pretty well. But then again im not complaining because i found these in the dumpster when someone moved out of my apartments lol. Same thing with my Kenwood surrounds so im good till someone throws out a better pair lol. Their size is pretty nice though, because their so small and light you can put them just about anywhere (which is good because my room aint all that big :/ ). So overall if you can find them pretty cheap ( $30 and under) i defintely recomend them. For $40 and over listen to them first if you can and see if you like them.

Submitted by Jon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2009

Bottom Line:
I picked these up at a local junk store. 4 dollars for the pair - I was surprised they work as new. They must have only been used as rears in a surround system because after a few hours with no bass the woofers finally broke in and have tight bass down to it's limit. Obviously you should run these with a sub but the midrange is actually quite open, and the highs are pretty clear if overstated in the 2-3k range, probably due to lack of x-over on the woofer, perhaps im hearing some breakup, nothing I can't deal with. I needed to go smaller with my speakers due to size constraints on my room and when these things don't need to handle 60hz and under they really shine.

Submitted by COGarcia a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
Do yourself a favor and steer clear of these. No crossover makes the midrange muffled and the tweeters are totally offensive. No differentiation in cymbals, high voices, breathe, etc. Everything high is a hiss.

I purchased these because I had $50 left on a Circuit City gift card and needed a quick set of surrounds for a JVC reciever I had at the time. They did a decent job as surrounds for that reciever as the surround processor on the JVC left MUCH to be desired. It was my first foray into Dolby Digital and DTS, though not surround in general.

When I upgraded(beleive me it was an upgrade!) to a Technics SA-DA8N receiver it all changed. There were actually voices in the surround channels, and true discreet sound! The quality of speaker made a much bigger difference, and so the Sonys had to go. Also, the amplifier section of the Technics is so much cleaner that I started listening to more music than movies. The only thing this speaker is worse at than movies is music, absolutely unbearable. If you have purchased a decent receiver do not use these speakers anywhere in your system, you are throwing your money away, you might as well have bought a KLH receiver.

When I bought a TEAC micro system I figured the Sony's had to be better than the factory speakers although the system was $300. Thou shalt never assume! They were so much worse than the factory speakers I could not believe I actually paid money for these.

Don't accuse me of being a sony-hater, I have their SAWM40 subwoofer and a CD player in my main system and they are both great products had for great prices.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Barry Morrison a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
These little speakers are very nice. I got them, when I bought my STR-DE845, they came free with the reciever. For that price and that they can handle the power output of said reciever, you can't beat it.

Very recommended.

Rears: Sony SS-MB105's

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Stan Witkowski a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2001

Bottom Line:
The reason I wrote this review was simple. I do some audio repair (mostly vintage equipment) in my home. I needed a set of small monitor type speakers that I could leave in place above my test bench for testing recievers and other equipment. While looking for some old vinyl (albums) at the local reord store,I picked these up for $25.00 for the pair. They were in great shape, and had the original paperwork. I took them home and immediately connected them to an old Kenwood 65 watt RMS receiver and they sounded great. I then connected an old Technics 30 watt RMS receiver and added a CD player I was cleaning and repairing. I put on an instrumental string CD and could not believe the quality of sound these reproduced, even at relatively high volume levels.
Now I have about 4 pure stereo audio systems in different locations in my home. They range from 60 watts RMS thru 200 watts RMS. My home theater has Carver AL III's (driven by a 500 watt RMS amp)with a Sunfire Signature sub (you know what this packs!), I am used to what a good sound combination should be.
If some one does not like the sound of these little marvels, I might suggest some items that will help you.

1. Check the phasing of your connections.

2. Check the output of your amp, it may be clipping.

3. Check your ears, frequent exposure to high volume levels through clipped output will surely produce transient sounds that may damage your hearing.

4. A quality speaker will reproduce what it hears (GIGO theory), time to move up from that Soundesign unit that Mom and Dad gave you went to prep school!

5. Reality slap required - Set your sights a little lower, you didn't pay $2,000.00 bucks a pair for these.

Purchased At:   Record Exchange