Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Floorstanding Speakers

Inspired by the development of the Cremona, the Cremona auditor offers much of Cremona’s qualities in a smaller and less expensive. Cosmetically, like its full-sized, floor-standing brother, the diminutive Cremona auditor features the same lute shaped cabinet, hand-rubbed medium gloss lacquer finish, leather covered front baffle and stretched-string grille. When high-resolution performance is required, the Cremona auditor is the ideal choice for listening rooms where the larger Cremona would be impractical or excessive. The Danish drive units employed comprise of a 1" fabric-dome ring radiator and a 6" bass-midrange driver made of hardened paper. Meticulously fitted into the highly braced lute-shaped cabinet consisting of 32 pieces of solid and laminated maple these drivers are optimized for high acoustic output and dynamic range that belies the speaker’s physical size. The optional floor stands directly couple via thumbscrews to the Cremona auditor’s base and raise the speakers’ 25" above the floor while providing rake via adjustable spikes. Exceptionally wide imaging and deep soundstaging is a hallmark of Sonus faber loudspeakers and the Cremona auditor is no exception. By combining these legendary sonic attributes with a musically detailed presentation, Sonus faber has again redefined the standard reference in small speaker design.

Submitted by BR a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2011

Bottom Line:
Emotional and airy.
Great highs and excellent mids.

Sounds better than the "M" version once you position it correctly.
3D sound and not at all hard to drive.

Running it with 30watt tube amp and these speakers will sing.

Already a collector s item as it has been discontinued.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by fin a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2010

Bottom Line:
I will try not to repeat the other reviews as they all are great ones. Although I will emphasize the musicality of the speaker. It truly is an instrument of its own and the most non-fatiguing speaker I have ever tried. As a furniture maker I also appreciate the cabinets. My wife even lets them sit in our main room. The mermaid-esque stands are wonderful as well. Just to knock on the side of the speaker is a reassuring feeling. They are heavy and solid and the maple pieces are striking. The Scanspeak (i think) drivers are outstanding but it's what Sonus does with the whole package that is the most striking. I would highly recommend this speaker to anyone. I listen to just about everything. Every month or so I go out and spend my cd allowance and can't wait to get them home and hear the music through the speakers. I bought them used which is why I also gave 5 stars for value. Go and buy them, you only live once.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by the hand of boredom a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2008

Bottom Line:
I've auditioned several monitors for over two years in the quest to build my next little system. I finally settled on the Cremona Auditor upon it's first note. There was something about the way this speaker presented the music that made me say 'Yes."

I'm not going to use alot of audio lingo such as warm, fluid, relaxed highs, tuneful bass, accuracy. But I would use those terms to describe the sound of the Auditors.

I listened to the following in auditions: Elac 208, Reference 3A Dulcet and Veena (both absolutely fantastic and open products, would've gone for the Veena, was just too big for the room), Monitor Audio Platinum 100, KEF Reference 201. All have their strengths and not one sounded bad. What set the Cremona Auditor above the rest, for me, was it's ability to convey the emotion of the music... if Ms Krall is giving a touch more oompf into the keys, you can feel it; if Ms Muter is swaying and really digging her bow into her strings, you can definitely feel it.

In my 13 x 15 bedroom, I have the speakers placed as close as possible to the golden ratio (see Cardas) for a square room. The rectangular room setup just won't work, otherwise the WIFE would be eternally cranky, and we don't want that. The golden ration had a tremendous effect of opening the staging to the width of the room, and the timing (or speed) of the music is very quick now.

The lower end, although quite pleasing, won't shake your walls. There is energy at the bottom, but for true bottom end punch, get a subwoofer.

Quality of material is second to none, the silk covers are world class.

I don't have the luxury of comparing these to any other speaker in my system, since I put the system together all at once.

Musical Fidelity A5CD
Raysonic SP120 Intergrated
Tara Labs RSC Air 1 Interconnect
Crystal Cable Reference Power

Submitted by Dimitris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
This is one of the best monitors you can buy today. They are very detailed and their soundstage is one of the best out there. Also they stand out for their musicality and relaxing sound. They can also rock but their bass isnt going to shake your house. However in a small room their bass can be punchy and articulate so the speaker in no slouch in this department. All in all a very nice speaker worth auditioning

Purchased At:   Audiogon

Submitted by NYONYO a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
My first encounter with Sonus Faber was at my Audiophile friend house who originally owned Wilson Sophia. He had just got rid of the Sophia and bought Sonus Faber Homage Amati. He told me to listen to his new loudspeakers. I was really blown away by these speakers. They are very very musical. The imaging, sound stage, details, rhythm etc are first rated, by the way I am a musician. More importantly, these speakers don't make my ear tired. But looking at the build and sound qualities, I know that these speakers are not in my league. He suggested me to audition, Cremona Auditor. The Cremona Auditor is not inexpensive, closed to US$ 5,000 for both spekaers and stands. I match my new Auditors with Naim Nait 5i and Marantz SA11-S1. They really makes wonderful music everyday for me. When I listen to Wynton Marsalis or David Sanborn, the speakers disappear and I feel that they are in my family room playing for me. For the money ($10K), I think I did not make a mistake buying this pair of speakers plus the CD player + Nait5i, NACA5. However, since I had listened to Amati driven by top of the line Naim gears, I knew that I can improve what I have (this actually spoils my happiness, I thought I had the most wonderful system), but I have to spend four times what I spent. I think I need to take a respite at this time. Later, I may upgrade to a better system. Bottom line, I really recommend Sonus Faber products.

Purchased At:   Pro Musica

SF cremona auditor + Pathos classic one

hi everybody :) . this is my first post here. I am looking for new system and my favorite speaker is Sonus faber cremona auditor. My questions are 1. I wonder SF cremona auditor can get along with Pathos classicone or not (I cannot afford Logos at this time) My budget for integrated amp is 2,000- ... Read More »

SF Cremona Auditor good combinations??

Hello I have just bought a pair of Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors and am still looking for a amplifier and CD player to complete my kit. I have heard the COPLAND pre (CTA305) and power (CTA520) amplifiers with a Musical Fidelity A5 CD player - thought it sounded great! What other products wo ... Read More »

SF Cremona Auditor

Just got these as upgrade from Quad 11L's. Wow, I was happy with the Quads, but the new SF is truly outstanding. Full review in this months hifi plus. If you're considering speakers in the $3000-$4000 range you must look at these. JWHRead More »