Snell Acoustics Type K/II Floorstanding Speakers

4.67/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $475.00

Submitted by Afranta a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2011

Bottom Line:
I picked up a pair of Snell K/IIs in excellent condition on Audiogon and am thrilled with them. I bought them because I'd heard that they perform well close to the back wall, which in my experience is true. (I've since been told that, unlike the Audio Note AN-K which is based on the original Snell Type K, they were in fact intended to be positioned in free space. For me, they work very well 3-4 inches from the wall, with a significant amount of toe-in.)

They're shockingly good. Very well integrated from top to bottom, excellent dispersion, and sound very full for a relatively small monitor (although by today's standards, they're big and oddly proportioned -- 18h x 11w x 9d). They don't do pin-point imaging, but are wonderful at putting the music together without drawing attention to a particular part of the frequency range. The biggest surprise for me is the quality of the bass. They don't go particularly low, but what bass there is is very tight and musical. Drums and bass sound like instruments and not just low tones. They're very easy to drive, and valve amps are often recommended, but I love what they do with my solid state Naim integrated. A big improvement on the Dynaudio Excite X12s they replaced (which is saying something, as the Dyns are excellent monitors, but need more room than I have). For what they cost on the second hand market (I paid $175 for mine and have seen nice looking pairs go for less), they're a steal.

Submitted by spiffnme a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I've had the Snell type K/II speakers for over 11 years now, and still love them. When I shopped around for speakers it came down to these or a pair of B&W bookshelves. Both speakers were incredibly clear, but I felt the B&W's were a little lean in the middle. They produced more bass than the Snell's, but I preferred the more even sound of the Snell's. (My brother bought a pair of the B&W's) On top of the beautiful clear sound, the walnut cabinets make these beautiful speakers. You can't say that about stereo equipment very often! Though these are the only Snell speakers I've ever owned, I've heard that they have a solid reputation building their products solidly...I cannot disagree. These beauties are solid as a rock. Classical music sounds so clear you can hear the soft shuffle of the musicians feet! I've also used these speakers as the main speakers in my HT setup. With a Phase Tech center, Polk surrounds, (and a crappy Yamaha sub) they have performed wonderfully. Friends have played back the Dolby Digital logo at the head of DVD's over and over again, because it sounds so cool! (and that's with a really wimpy sub) Though Snell does not produce these speakers any longer, I cannot recommend them higher as a second hand purchase.

Purchased At:   Tweeter Etc

Submitted by David S. a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I'm currently driving these with a mid range Rotel cd (965) into a Bottlehead Foreplay preamp and then a Dynaco stereo 70 (no mods!). I'm listening to Art Pepper meets the Rhythm Section. Art is in my livuing room right now!! I went to a local high end dealer here in the San Fernando valley and just for kicks had them run this cd in some of their more costly rigs (no Snell speakers included). I dig my setup better. Yup- you DON'T need to spend over 2000 dollars to get a REALLY good sounding rig. Whatever you do-don't spend more than 100.00 on speaker cables. It's all a LIE!!!! If you have the cajones, get some 18 awg copper stranded ZIPCORD from the shack and have your sweetie blindfold you and--you know where I'm going with this. Anyhoo-the speakers. WOW!! just an 8" woofer. Regular old Peerless drivers in a generic sealed cabinet. Mine are the II's, which have a potentiometer for the tweet. I leave it set at center, but if the rest of your rig is dark, VOILA!! They are bi wirable and vey unassuming looking. They have incredible punch for their limited bass response (rated by Snell at 70-20.000 hz) but since it's a closed box, you can FEEL the bass!!! Much more satisfying. My room is 19 X 13 X 8, heavy plaster walls with wall to wall and furniture strategically used as diffusers. I've driven them with the Dynaco, a McIntosh integrated and a Zen SET amp. The Snell's let me hear the the different qualities of all three . Is that what they mean by reference? Great imaging soundstage bla bla bla. They make me want to listen to music. If you find em, get em.

Purchased At:   yard sale!!!!!

Submitted by Jay Trilling a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had the Snell Type K for about 18 years and I still enjoy listening to them. I have never had to replace the drivers, and to this day they are still in good condition. I have recently made the jump to home theater, and have put the Snell Type K into the system as my main front speakers. I am impressed with what I have heard from them so far. I am considering getting an updated Snell speaker from their .5 line.

Purchased At:   Digital Sound, Virginia Beach, VA

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2000

Bottom Line:
After listening to several popular speakers, including some home trials, I came across a dealer who still had a pair of Snell KIIv's in the back room. As soon as I heard them, they were sold.

Compared to the prevalent "boom and hiss" sound of many bookshelf speakers currently available, the Snell's just deliver the music. They sound full and rich, with phenomenal detail and accurate dynamics. If you are lucky enough to find a pair of these - even good used ones - grab them. You will be amazed.